Cook powers England to 422-run lead over India (Tea report)August 12th, 2011 - 10:58 pm ICT by IANS
Birmingham, Aug 12 (IANS) Alastair Cook stood rock solid to reach 266 as England took a massive 422 runs lead at tea on the third day of the third cricket Test against India here Friday.
India got the wickets of Eoin Morgan (104), Ravi Bopara (7) and Matt Prior (5) in the second session after going wicketless at lunch. But England reached 646/6 with Cook looking set for a triple century.
Suresh Raina had Morgan caught at cover, breaking the 222-run partnership between Cook and Morgan.
Leg spinner Amit Mishra then trapped Bopara leg before and dismissed Prior, who top edged a slog sweep and was well caught by Sachin Tendulkar.
Cook, however, batted with resolve and surpassed his best of 235 that he scored against Australia in the Ashes last year. His marathon 518-ball innings had 29 fours.
Morgan scored his second Test century after the 130 against Pakistan last year. He played 199 balls and struck 11 fours.
Earlier, India went wicketless in the morning session and looked listless on the ground, though Praveen Kumar again bowled with a big heart and got good purchase from the conditions. Praveen bowled six overs giving only 12 runs.
Resuming at 456/3 and 232 runs ahead of India, England added 47 runs in 18 overs after a delayed start and early finish to the first session due to rain.
Cook got to his double century, his second of the career, with a clip of his leg off S. Sreesanth.
- Cook's marathon 294 shut India out of Edgbaston Test (Roundup) - Aug 13, 2011
- Cook scores double century, England lead by 279 runs (Lunch report) - Aug 12, 2011
- India pin England down to 124/8 (Tea report) - Jul 29, 2011
- Tea Scoreboard India vs England, Third Test, Day Three - Aug 12, 2011
- Kohli's ton, double century stand with Gambhir see India victorious - Oct 18, 2011
- Trott, Patel help England post a challenging total against India (Lead) - Oct 20, 2011
- Rahane shines as India take 3-0 lead against England (Roundup) - Oct 21, 2011
- England dislodge India from No.1 Test ranking with crushing win (Lead) - Aug 13, 2011
- England consolidate with Pietersen double century (Roundup) - Jul 23, 2011
- Cook scores ton, England continue to dominate (Tea report) - Aug 11, 2011
- India will go into third Test with No.1 Test ranking at stake - Aug 09, 2011
- England dominate India with Cook's ton (Roundup) - Aug 12, 2011
- England maul India by 319 runs, take 2-0 (Roundup) - Aug 02, 2011
- Dravid's ton, Broad's hat-trick leaves second Test evenly poised (Roundup) - Jul 31, 2011
- Bell hits maiden double-century as England move to 591/6 (Lunch report) - Aug 20, 2011
Tags: alastair cook, amit, balls, cricket test, double century, eoin, india tea, marathon, morning session, ravi bopara, resolve, s sreesanth, sachin tendulkar, second session, second test, spinner, tea report, test century, third day, wickets