Convicted Tahawwur Rana loses retrial pleaJune 12th, 2012 - 10:23 am ICT by IANS
Chicago, June 12 (IANS) A Chicago court has dismissed a retrial plea by Pakistan born Canadian Tahawwur Rana, convicted of providing material support to Pakistan based terrorist group Lashkar-e-Taeba (LeT), blamed for November 2008 Mumbai terror attack. His sentencing was set for Dec 4.
While a jury acquitted Rana on June 10, 2011 of involvement in the 26/11 attack that killed more than 160 people, it found him guilty of helping LeT for an aborted plot to bomb a Danish newspaper for publishing cartoons of Prophet Muhammad in 2005.
Rana’s trial featured testimony from the government’s star witness — his boyhood friend, David Coleman Headley, who has confessed to his role in the Mumbai attack and the Denmark plot. Son of a Pakistani father and an American mother, Headley changed his given name Daood Sayed Gilani, to scout targets for the Mumbai. He was arrested and found guilty much before Rana, but his sentencing is yet to be announced.
In affirming Rana’s conviction, Illinois District Court Judge Harry Leinenweber Monday noted the jury had been presented with contrasting pictures of him.
The prosecution portrayed Rana, 51, as a man who knowingly supported his lifelong friend as Headley travelled the world plotting and preparing terrorist attacks, the judge noted.
In contrast, the defence painted him as an ambitious businessman manipulated by a friend into unwittingly providing cover for terrorist plots.
But “a rational jury could have concluded that Rana knowingly conspired to — and did — provide material support to the Denmark plot by furnishing Headley with business cards and supporting his business cover, and by providing Headley with logistical support for his travels and plots,” he ruled.
- Rana trial jury yet to reach verdict - Jun 09, 2011
- Terror plotter Rana seeks a fresh trial - Sep 21, 2011
- Rana 'not guilty' for Mumbai, India disappointed (Roundup) - Jun 10, 2011
- Rana acquitted for Mumbai, India disappointed (Intro Roundup) - Jun 10, 2011
- Mumbai terror suspect Rana's trial on May 16 - Apr 12, 2011
- Rana's plea for fresh trial rejected - Jan 31, 2012
- Rana held not guilty in Mumbai attacks, guilty of aiding LeT (Third Lead) - Jun 10, 2011
- Rana cleared in Mumbai attacks, convicted of aiding LeT (Second Lead) - Jun 10, 2011
- Rana pleads not guilty to Mumbai terror attack charge (Lead) - Jan 26, 2010
- Rana worked with Headley every step of the way: Prosecution - Jun 08, 2011
- Rana cleared in Mumbai attack, held guilty of aiding terror groups (Lead) - Jun 10, 2011
- Mumbai terror suspect Rana to be arraigned May 4 - Apr 27, 2011
- Mumbai terror accused Rana arraigned in Chicago court - May 05, 2011
- 'Rana, Headley were playing for the same team' - Jun 07, 2011
- Jury begins deliberations in Rana trial - Jun 08, 2011
Tags: american mother, boyhood friend, business cards, businessman, cartoons of prophet muhammad, david coleman, district court judge, friend david, illinois district, lifelong friend, logistical support, material support, mumbai, plea, prosecution, rana, retrial, terror attack, terrorist group, terrorist plots