Convict who escaped from Kerala jail arrestedJune 16th, 2010 - 5:47 pm ICT by IANS
Kannur (Kerala), June 16 (IANS) One of the two convicts who escaped from the high-security jail here earlier this week was arrested from Ooty in Tamil Nadu Wednesday, police said.
Jayanandan, serving a life term for murder, was arrested early Wednesday from a friend’s house.
“We caught him from a house near Ooty today early morning and we are taking him back to Kannur where more details would be elicited from him on how he and another prisoner managed the jail break,” a police inspector told reporters enroute to Kannur from Ooty.
Jayanandan and Riaz, who had committed 35 burglaries, removed two bars of their cell and put them back after getting out. They escaped after scaling the high prison wall Monday.
Police tracked down Jayanandan by tracing his wife’s mobile phone as he was in touch with her.
According to police, the two could have escaped from their cell in the prison’s Block 10 between 2.30 a.m. and 3.30 a.m. as the inmates were watching a football match on TV past midnight.
They used a pipe from the water tank for jumping over the 20-feet-high jail wall.
Police have taken possession of the pipe.
Director General of Police (prisons) Alexander Jacob Wednesday conducted surprise raids in the jail to see if mobile phones were being used by the prisoners.
- Two convicts escape from Kerala jail - Jun 14, 2010
- No jail is impregnable: senior Kerala cop - Jun 15, 2010
- Police probing escape of Bangladeshi undertrials - Aug 29, 2012
- Jailor shot at, escapes unhurt - Jul 27, 2012
- Pictures of politicians, film stars removed from Kerala jails - Jun 17, 2012
- Manhunt launched after 8 escape from Haryana jail - Jan 18, 2012
- He fled jail only to be caught 15 years later - Dec 15, 2011
- Mobile phones, marijuana recovered from Orissa jail - Sep 08, 2010
- Jail warden held for providing mobiles to inmates - May 06, 2012
- Missing Pakistani prisoner has escaped: Punjab jail officials - Sep 27, 2010
- 12 inmates escape from juvenile home - Apr 30, 2011
- 14 undertrials escape from Rajasthan jail - Dec 09, 2011
- Meerut jail-break: Prisons across Uttar Pradesh raided - Jul 21, 2010
- Nine prisoners escape in Meerut jail break - Jul 20, 2010
- Punjab jail to have phone jammer - Sep 08, 2010
Tags: burglaries, convict, convicts, football match, high security, inmates, jacob, mobile phones, ooty, police inspector, possession, prison wall, prisoners, prisons, riaz, security jail, surprise raids, tamil nadu, two bars, water tank