Convict turns unruly in court on hearing sentenceJuly 10th, 2012 - 10:08 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 10 (IANS) A convict lifted and banged a chair on the floor in a Delhi court after the judge sentenced him to eight years’ jail in a chain snatching case involving an army soldier’s wife, sources said Tuesday. Police however denied the incident.
According to sources, convict Munna Sheikh Monday vented his anger by banging the chair on the floor as Additional Session Judge Pawan Kumar Jain awarded him eight years’ jail. The court also slapped a fine of Rs.60,000 on the convict.
Soon after the incident, the court staff called in police to control the unruly convict, they said.
However, a police officer incharge of the Tis Hazari court denied the incident, claiming that he had not received any information.
He added that such incidents occurred frequently in courts.
Complainant Asha Rani told the court that March 12, 2011 she and her husband B. Udai Raj, an army soldier, were on their way to the waiting room for army personnel at the New Delhi Railway Station when Munna, along with some associates, snatched her gold chain and injured her husband.
The judge ruled that snatching of belongings of a woman finding her alone was quite a serious offence as it created an atmosphere of insecurity in society.
“Since, the complainant and her husband were on their way to start a journey and the incident had taken place near the railway station, such incidents not only create an atmosphere of insecurity among passengers and tourists but also give a bad name to the city,” the court said.
The court added that the convict deserved substantial punishment taking into account all the mitigating and aggravating factors.
“Thus, I hereby sentence the convict to rigorous imprisonment for a period of eight years,” the court said.
–Indo-Asian News service
- Probe bribe-giving case against officials: Court - Sep 03, 2012
- Death penalty for 10 people for honour killing - Jun 08, 2011
- Court slams police for lax probe into suicide - Apr 29, 2012
- Court rejects complaint against Microsoft (Lead) - Mar 01, 2012
- US soldier jailed for rape in South Korea - Nov 01, 2011
- Four arrested for murders in Kolkata (Lead) - Sep 09, 2012
- Three get life term for former JNU student leader's murder - Mar 23, 2012
- Child witness's testimony carries weight: Supreme Court (Lead) - Mar 21, 2011
- Pushkin Chandra killing: Life term for two upheld - Oct 31, 2011
- Delhi man given life term for killing neighbour - Apr 12, 2011
- Castration most befitting punishment for rapists: Court - Feb 17, 2012
- Four arrested for murders in Kolkata - Sep 09, 2012
- Death sentence for accused in Kerala rape, murder case - Nov 11, 2011
- Pakistani ringleader jailed for raping girl 30 times - Jun 22, 2012
- Woman, paramour held for husband's murder - Apr 21, 2011
Tags: aggravating factors, akk, army personnel, army soldier, asian news, complainant, convict, court staff, delhi court, gold chain, incharge, insecurity, munna, pawan kumar, railway station, rigorous imprisonment, snatching case, tis hazari court, udai, waiting room