Conversion caused attacks on churches: YeddyurappaSeptember 16th, 2008 - 11:05 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, Sep 16 (IANS) Karnataka Chief Minister B.S. Yeddyurappa Tuesday said attacks on churches and prayer halls in the coastal city of Mangalore and other places in the state were a fallout of conversion activities in those areas.”The attacks took place in areas where conversion activity was on,” Yeddyurappa told reporters after meeting with senior civil and police officials on the violent incidents in Mangalore, around 350 kms from here.
He said the government would enquire into charges by pro-Hindu groups that some organisations were receiving foreign funds to carry out conversions in the state.
“The government will not allow forcible conversions. The constitution does not permit it,” Yeddyurappa added.
The chief minister condemned the Sunday attacks on churches and prayer halls and said no group should take the law into its hands.
“What is the government for? If such activity (conversions) is taking place, it should be brought to the notice of the government,” he maintained.
Yeddyurappa rejected the opposition parties’ demand for a judicial probe into Sunday’s attacks in Mangalore, the headquarters of Dakshina Kannada district.
Around 10 churches and prayer halls were damaged in the attack and the Christians’ protest Monday turned violent as they clashed with Hindu groups and police.
More than 170 persons have been arrested by police, around 50 of them for the attack on the churches and the rest in connection with Monday’s violence.
- Moily for CBI probe into Karnataka church attacks - Jan 29, 2011
- Panel clears BJP, Hindu groups of church attacks; opposition cries foul (Lead) - Jan 28, 2011
- Panel clears BJP, Hindu groups in Karnataka church attacks - Jan 28, 2011
- Protests against moral policing in Karnataka - Jul 29, 2012
- Maoists kill policeman in Karnataka - Oct 09, 2011
- Shutdown in violence-hit Mangalore - Sep 16, 2008
- Apologise for anti-Christian remarks: Yeddyurappa tells legislator - Aug 25, 2010
- Christians reject report on church attacks: Bangalore archbishop - Feb 05, 2011
- Fresh attacks on church property in Karnataka, Mangalore quiet (Lead) - Sep 17, 2008
- Girls thrashed at Karnataka's Mangalore for partying - Jul 28, 2012
- Life gets back to normal in violence-hit Mangalore - Sep 17, 2008
- Mangalore shut as Christians protest attack on prayer halls - Sep 15, 2008
- Karnataka police to probe church attacks - Sep 18, 2008
- Eight arrested for moral policing in Karnataka - Jul 29, 2012
- Former Karnataka judge to probe church attacks (Lead) - Sep 20, 2008