Convene full fledged winter session of parliament: LeftOctober 25th, 2008 - 5:09 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 25 (IANS) The Left parties Saturday demanded the convening of a “full fledged” winter session of parliament.”The Left parties demand the convening of a full fledged winter session of parliament,” said a statement quoting Left party leaders, including Prakash Karat, A.B. Bardhan, Debabrata Biswas and T.J. Chandrachoodan.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Vayalar Ravi said that the parliament session, which was adjourned Friday till Dec 10, was the continuation of the two-day session of July, which was held to prove the majority of the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government in the house.
The central government decided to hold the third part of the ongoing session Dec 10, Ravi said.
When asked whether it could be called as a monsoon session or the continuation of the special session convened to prove the UPA government’s majority in the house, Vayalar Ravi had told mediapersons: “You can call it whatever you want.”
“The UPA government has taken the unprecedented step of doing away with both the regular monsoon and winter session of parliament. This is a serious assault on parliamentary democracy and politically immoral,” a Left party leader said.
“The Left parties will consult with other like-minded parties in the opposition to decide on an effective protest and on a joint course of action,” the statement said.
- Left says presidential candidate should be widely accepted - May 23, 2012
- Left opposes hike in fuel prices - May 23, 2012
- Change in Left's 'olden' perception towards Obama? - Oct 28, 2010
- Monsoon session of parliament Aug 8-Sep 7 - Jul 18, 2012
- Parliament's winter session likely from Nov 22 - Oct 31, 2011
- Left meets PM, demands excess food be distributed - Aug 04, 2012
- AFSPA issue to be raised in parliament: Left - Nov 17, 2011
- Fuel price hike a cruel blow on the people: Left - Jun 25, 2010
- Third Front meet cancelled, Left to discuss defeat - May 17, 2009
- Left to protest price hike - Jul 25, 2009
- Congress deviating from parliamentary tradition: BJP - Jun 23, 2011
- Left parties oppose government's decision disinvest 10 percent shares in PSUs - Nov 06, 2009
- UPA, BJP in war of words over Lokpal 'debate' (Lead) - Dec 12, 2011
- Budget Session of Parliament to start on Feb. 21 - Jan 20, 2011
- Parliament session adjourned till Dec 10 (Lead) - Oct 24, 2008