Controversy over goddess Durga riding an elephantOctober 6th, 2008 - 8:41 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Oct 6 (IANS) The Jaunpur district court Monday ordered the police to register a case against the organizers of a Durga Puja that showed the goddess astride an elephant, officials informed.The matter heated up Sunday in the Phoolwali Gali locality when the devotees noticed the idol had goddess Durga sitting on an elephant rather than a lion.
Subsequently, a lawyer lodged a complaint with the chief judicial magistrate who sought a detailed report from the police.
Incidentally, the elephant is the symbol of the ruling Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) and the puja was inaugurated by a local BSP leader.
“The move is a blatant act of publicity stunt by the ruling party and it has hurt the sentiments of the devotees”, the complainant, A.K. Singh, stated.
Hearing the matter today, the court directed the police to lodge a case against the organizers.
“We are yet to receive the court’s order and will definitely lodge a case and probe the matter”, inspector Dharmesh Kumar of Kotwali police station told IANS on phone.
- Durga idols immersed in Meghalaya - Oct 07, 2011
- Durga Puja reaches its peak with Mahashtami - Oct 15, 2010
- Sea of humanity throngs Bengal streets on Mahashtami (Lead) - Oct 15, 2010
- Durga Puja fever soars in West Bengal (Lead) - Oct 17, 2010
- West Bengal celebrates Mahanavami - Oct 16, 2010
- Legislator booked for assaulting BSP leader - Oct 04, 2011
- Where AK 47s, INSAS rifles are worshipped on Durga Puja - Oct 04, 2011
- Durga Puja celebrated with great fervour in West Bengal - Oct 16, 2010
- Bengal bids farewell to Durga - Oct 06, 2011
- Thousands hit the roads as Durga Puja begins in Bengal - Oct 02, 2011
- School students to serve as priests at Ganesh festival - Aug 01, 2011
- Thousands watch Kumari worship at Belur Math - Oct 04, 2011
- Tearful farewell to Durga, 600 idols immersed in Yamuna - Oct 06, 2011
- 100 pandals, galaxy of stars - Mumbai ready for Durga Puja - Sep 30, 2011
- Santhal Durga Puja symbolises revolt against British - Oct 06, 2010