Controversy over dress circular to Kerala teachersJuly 3rd, 2012 - 12:21 am ICT by IANS
Kochi, July 2 (IANS) Kerala’s education department Monday sent a circular to woman teachers to turn up at a function in a saree and green blouse, inviting allegations that the colour reflected the minister’s party flag. The circular was cancelled late in the evening.
The Ernakulam district official who issued it was placed under suspension.
The education portfolio in the Congress-led government is handled by Indian Union Muslim League (IUML) member P.K. Abdu Rabb. Green is the official colour of the IUML.
The circular was issued by the Ernakulam Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan (SSA) District Project Officer K.M. Aliaar to 15 units in the district ahead of a function Tuesday.
The function for handing over funds to the various SSA centres would be presided over by Rabb and three other ministers.
Each centre will be represented by four teachers and in all 60 teachers were issued the controversial dress code.
Vellapally Natesan, general secretary of the Sree Narayana Dharma Paripalana (SNDP) Yogam, a social organisation, earlier demanded that the circular be cancelled.
“Who does not know that green is the official colour of the IUML,” she asked.
Kerala School Teachers Association leader Shahjahan called the dress code unfortunate.
- BJP candidate in Kerala charged for violating election code of conduct - Mar 07, 2011
- Nair, Ezhava communities unite in Kerala - Sep 04, 2012
- Sukumar Azhikode: A man of the masses (Obituary) - Jan 24, 2012
- Amrita launches free tution programme (Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
- Kerala, Dubai body hold talks on Academic City - Mar 20, 2012
- Chandy expands cabinet, inducts 13 more ministers - May 23, 2011
- Amrita University's free online tution programme launched - Mar 27, 2012
- Communal politics goes viral in Kerala (Comment) - Apr 10, 2012
- Bareilly College women teachers protest dress code - Oct 13, 2010
- Protests in Kerala over denial of seat to Achuthanandan - Mar 17, 2011
- Kerala's rival fronts equally confident of victory - Apr 07, 2009
- Need for Kerala to reform higher education: Experts - Sep 14, 2012
- More trouble for Achuthanandan's son - Oct 21, 2011
- Woes for Chandy as IUML given fifth ministership - Apr 13, 2012
- Achuthanandan's son faces suspension - Oct 26, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,