Controversial question on Azamgarh scrappedFebruary 28th, 2009 - 3:54 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Feb 28 (IANS) A controversial question on Azamgarh’s alleged links with terror has been scrapped from the Uttar Pradesh civil services preliminary examination following objections from the Ulema Council, it was announced Saturday.
The Uttar Pradesh Public Service Commission said in a statement: “After giving thought to the objections from a certain community, the question has been scrapped.”
The commission has also blacklisted the person who set the question, the statement said.
After the Feb 22 examination, the Ulema Council had raised objections and demanded that the government take action against those who framed it.
The controversial question, No. 126 of the General Studies ‘C’ paper, read: “Which district of undivided Uttar Pradesh is maligned as a breeding ground of terrorists?”
The multiple choice question gave four options as answer - Azamgarh, Pithoragarh, Aligarh and Pratapgarh.
The Ulema Council said the question reflected the “dirty mindset” of those who framed it.
Welcoming the government move, the Ulema Council said action should be taken against those responsible.
“We welcome the government’s move as the commission has scrapped the controversial question,” Maulana Amir Rashadi Madni, convener of the Ulema Council, told IANS on telephone from Azamgarh.
The question has hurt sentiments of all those who live in Azamgarh, added Madni.
- Ulema Council objects to exam question on Azamgarh - Feb 24, 2009
- Supporters of SP, Ulema Council clash in Uttar Pradesh - Nov 03, 2010
- Ulema Council may not field candidate against Rahul Gandhi - Apr 04, 2009
- Ulema Council convener booked for poll code violation - Mar 26, 2009
- Train load of protesting Uttar Pradesh Muslims head to Delhi - Jan 28, 2009
- Hundreds of Muslims from Azamgarh demand probe into Batla shootout (Lead) - Jan 29, 2009
- Lawyers strike work in UP, demand security - Aug 21, 2012
- Thousands of Muslims hold rally in Lucknow - Feb 20, 2009
- Ulema Council threatens stir against cleric's arrest - Mar 10, 2010
- Arrest of cleric's son in Nagpur has ripples in Azamgarh - Dec 22, 2008
- Ulema Council to hold rally in Lucknow - Feb 17, 2010
- Ulema Council calls Digvijay Singh's visit to Azamgarh an eyewash - Feb 03, 2010
- Security tightened in Azamgarh as Muslims vow to protest - Feb 03, 2010
- Thousands of Muslims rally, vow to fight elections (Lead) - Feb 20, 2009
- Was Pakistani Maulana's visit aimed at reinforcing anti-Vastanvi lobby? - Feb 17, 2011