Construction company booked for chimney collapseMay 25th, 2010 - 9:44 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, May 25 (IANS) The Uttar Pradesh Power Corporation Limited (UPPCL) Tuesday registered a first information report (FIR) against a state-run agency in connection with the collapse of a 210-metre chimney at a thermal power station in the state’s Jhansi district, an official said.
“For negligence and use of sub-standard material in construction of the chimney, we have registered an FIR against National Building Construction Corporation (NBCC), the agency that was engaged for setting up the chimney,” UPPCL chairman Navneet Sehgal told IANS.
“Work is still on to remove the debris from the site. We have learnt that two persons are still missing and could be trapped in the rubble,” he added.
Police are yet to make arrests in connection with the FIR lodged.
Six people were injured, two of them seriously, when the chimney collapsed at the 500 MW thermal power station Monday.
“Construction of the chimney had been completed recently as one of the two 250 MW units was to be commissioned by the first week of June,” Sehgal said.
- First death in Jhansi chimney mishap, one still missing - May 26, 2010
- Six engineers suspended for Jhansi chimney collapse - May 29, 2010
- Four dead as Uttar Pradesh power plant chimney collapses - May 24, 2010
- Six injured in chimney collapse (Lead, superseding earlier story) - May 24, 2010
- UP aims 3300 MW power generation hike in 2011 - Dec 29, 2010
- Northern power grid was again on verge of tripping - Aug 02, 2012
- Rescue work on to recover bodies trapped under collapsed chimney in Chattisgarh - Sep 24, 2009
- 20 killed in Chhattisgarh power plant accident (Third Lead) - Sep 23, 2009
- Balco chimney crash toll rises to 38, several trapped (Lead) - Sep 25, 2009
- 34 bodies retrieved, dozens still trapped under crashed Balco chimney - Sep 25, 2009
- Airport authorities on look out for fleeing Chinese nationals - Sep 27, 2009
- Alert for fleeing Chinese nationals, no one held: Officials (Lead) - Sep 27, 2009
- Balco power plant chimney collapse probe begins - Nov 04, 2009
- Factory linked to BSP leader charged with power theft - Dec 22, 2011
- Balco vice president arrested for power plant tragedy - Nov 17, 2009
Tags: building construction, chimney, collapse, construction company, construction corporation, debris, fir, information report, jhansi district, mw units, navneet, negligence, rubble, sehgal, thermal power station, two persons, uttar pradesh