Constitution’s abrogation won’t be permitted: NawazDecember 25th, 2011 - 3:47 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Dec 25 (IANS) No one will be allowed to dissolve Pakistan’s parliament and abrogate the constitution, former prime minister Nawaz Sharif has said, urging the government to focus on the country’s economic growth.
Speaking at a ceremony Saturday ahead of the 135th birth anniversary of Pakistan’s founder Mohammad Ali Jinnah, the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz president said that dictators had always ruined the country, Daily Times reported.
“When I was removed from the office of the prime minister and sent to jail, I said at that moment that injustice had been done to the country,” he said, adding that Pakistan suffered in consequence.
“Thousands of people have been killed in suicide attacks while the economy sustained a loss of $7 billion,” he said.
Sharif said Pakistan’s economy was in dire straits, as the country’s GDP growth rate stood at 2.5 percent while India’s GDP was gaining momentum on a faster track.
He urged the government to focus on the country’s economic growth and address the common man’s problems.
- Demilitarise Siachen, says Nawaz Sharif - Apr 18, 2012
- Pakistan should get over its obsession with India: Daily - Aug 16, 2011
- Nawaz hails Zardari's India trip - Apr 10, 2012
- Ex-PM Nawaz's party lists charges against Musharraf - Oct 12, 2010
- Gilani meets Nawaz Sharif in London - Apr 09, 2011
- PML-N hints at legal action against MQM members for "bad-mouthing" its leadership - Jan 02, 2011
- Government trying to protect Indian economy from global mess: PM - Sep 07, 2012
- Nawaz Sharif begins fresh term as party chief - Jul 28, 2011
- Army won't attempt to take over: Pakistani PM - Nov 02, 2010
- Pakistan government indifferent to people, says Nawaz - Sep 16, 2011
- Pakistan favours demilitarization of Siachen: Kayani - Apr 19, 2012
- Will bring Benazir killers to justice: Nawaz Sharif - Dec 11, 2011
- 'PML-N a "pro-American" party', Nawaz, Nisar told US envoy: WikiLeaks - Dec 01, 2010
- Nawaz sees conspiracies in Pakistan apex court's defiance - Mar 25, 2012
- Gilani to dissolve cabinet - Feb 04, 2011
Tags: abrogate, abrogation, birth anniversary, common man, dec 25, dictators, dire straits, former prime minister, gaining momentum, gdp growth rate, injustice, islamabad, minister nawaz sharif, mohammad ali jinnah, office of the prime minister, pakistan muslim league, pakistan muslim league nawaz, prime minister nawaz, prime minister nawaz sharif, suicide attacks