‘Consider special team to probe black money abroad’March 18th, 2011 - 1:08 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 18 (IANS) The Supreme Court Friday asked the government to consider the option of setting up a special investigation team (SIT) to probe the black money stashed away by Indian citizens in foreign banks.
An apex court bench of Justice B. Sudershan Reddy and Justice S.S. Nijjar asked Solicitor General Gopal Subramaniun to get back with the government’s response by March 28.
The court also asked the solicitor general for the names of the officers who could be included in the SIT.
However, the court made it clear that its suggestion of setting up the SIT was only in the realm of options.
Meanwhile, the court said that Hasan Ali Khan, said to be the country’s biggest tax evader, who has been remanded to four days’ custody of the Enforcement Directorate (ED), will be sent to judicial custody on the expiry of this period.
It said this after counsel U.U. Lalit sought a clarification on the court’s order Thursday cancelling the bail granted to Khan by a Mumbai court and remanding him to the ED’s custody for four days.
It also preponed to March 28 a hearing on Khan’s petition originally listed for April 4.
The court’s observations came during the hearing of a petition by eminent jurist Ram Jethmalani seeking directions to the central government to take steps to bring back black money stashed away by Indian citizens in foreign banks in tax havens.
- Consider special team to probe black money abroad: Apex court (Lead) - Mar 18, 2011
- Black money: Names will made public after cases filed (Lead) - Feb 10, 2011
- Supreme Court slams ED in black money case - May 04, 2011
- Black money: Where is Hasan Ali, asks apex court - Feb 10, 2011
- Supreme Court stays Hasan Ali's bail, orders ED custody (Lead) - Mar 17, 2011
- Right to education law, spectrum scam top apex court's agenda - Mar 13, 2011
- Apex court asks government's view on black money probe team (Lead) - Apr 21, 2011
- Supreme Court quizzes government on taxation agreement - May 03, 2011
- Black money: Apex court seeks details on government steps - Jan 27, 2011
- Hasan Ali case: ED to submit status report before Supreme Court - Mar 28, 2011
- "I am a victim of political conspiracy", says Hasan Ali - Mar 08, 2011
- Can't reveal names in black money cases, court told - Apr 21, 2011
- Government pulled up over black money probe - Mar 03, 2011
- Supreme Court asks government's view on black money probe team - Apr 21, 2011
- High-level committee to trail money laundering - Apr 25, 2011
Tags: apex court, black money, central government, court bench, eminent jurist, enforcement directorate, expiry, foreign banks, gopal, hasan ali khan, indian citizens, investigation team, judicial custody, lalit, mumbai court, nijjar, ram jethmalani, solicitor general, tax evader, tax havens