Consider Morani’s plea for separate cell, Tihar toldJune 7th, 2011 - 8:22 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 7 (IANS) A special Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) court asked the Tihar Jail authorities to consider the plea of Cineyug Films founder Karim Morani, in jail for alleged involvement in 2G spectrum scam, for a separate cell.
After Morani told Judge O.P.Saini his present cell was dusty and could exacerbate his health problems, Judge Saini said: “Considering his medical condition, he may be placed in a cell which is less dusty and also comparatively cooler.”
The Tihar Jail superintendent is directed to look into the matter and do the needful arrangement, the judge said.
Morani’s lawyer told the court that Morani, 52, was suffering from various ailments for the last 31 years.
“Morani is suffering from serious heart ailment and other medical problem. Accordingly, he is facing breathing problem in the cell, where he is at present lodged,” his counsel Siddharth Luthra said.
Luthra said Morani had undergone angioplasty in 1991, 1993 and 1997 and had an open heart surgery in 2007.
He also said that Morani had received a sixth bypass graft. He had also been advised complete rest due to a chest pain, Luthra said, adding his plea for a separate cell be accepted.
Morani was earlier exempted from personal appearance in the court due to his ill-health. He first appeared in the court May 24, a day after his anticipatory bail plea was dismissed.
The CBI named Morani a co-conspirator in a charge sheet after it traced an illegal money trail of Rs.214 crore in the scam.
Meanwhile, Morani has moved an application to sign documents pertaining to mutual funds and other bank documents.
Taking his plea on record, the court asked the CBI to file their response by June 8.
- 2G case: Morani's bail plea dismissed, arrested (Second Lead) - May 30, 2011
- Court asks for fresh medical report on Morani (Lead) - Jun 23, 2011
- 2G case: Court reserves order on Morani's bail plea - May 26, 2011
- 2G scam: Morani's bail plea dismissed (Third Lead) - May 23, 2011
- 2G scam: Morani's bail plea dismissed (Second Lead) - May 23, 2011
- 2G scam: Morani appears in court, moves bail plea (Lead) - May 24, 2011
- 2G case: Morani's bail plea deferred (Lead) - Jun 27, 2011
- 2G case: Morani moves bail plea (Lead) - Sep 15, 2011
- 2G case: Morani's bail plea dismissed, arrested (Lead) - May 30, 2011
- 2G scam: Morani's bail decision Monday (Lead) - May 21, 2011
- 2G scam: Morani's bail plea dismissed (Lead) - May 23, 2011
- Composed Kanimozhi appears in court after night in Tihar (Third Lead) - May 21, 2011
- 2G scam: Morani's bail decision Monday - May 21, 2011
- 2G scam: Court reserves order on Morani's interim bail - Jul 14, 2011
- Morani's interim bail decision likely Tuesday - Jul 18, 2011
Tags: ailments, bail plea, bank documents, breathing problem, bypass graft, cbi court, central bureau of investigation, chest pain, conspirator, crore, heart ailment, ill health, illegal money, jail authorities, karim, medical problem, money trail, open heart surgery, personal appearance, tihar jail