Connaught Place shootout: Hearing begins on cops’ pleasFebruary 20th, 2008 - 9:23 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, Feb 20 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Wednesday began hearing appeals of the 10 police officials who have challenged the life terms awarded to them after they were convicted for shooting down two innocent businessmen in the Connaught Place here ten years ago. Appearing before a division bench of Justices B.N. Chaturvedi and G.S. Sistani, senior counsel Dinesh Chand Mathur argued for the then assistant commissioner of police (ACP) S.S. Rathi that the shootout was a case of mistaken identity and not conspiracy.
A city court in October last year held all 10 policemen guilty of gunning down Pradeep Goyal and Jagjit Singh on the Barakhamba Road March 31, 1997.
Mathur argued that the businessmen were killed as they were mistakenly identified as Yaseen, a dreaded Uttar Pradesh gangster, and his associate.
“Yaseen in his disclosure statement had admitted that he was in Delhi near Patparganj in a blue Maruti car, so it was clearly established that the shootout was not a conspiracy,” said Mathur.
Besides Rathi, those sentenced to rigorous imprisonment for life included inspector Anil Kumar, sub-inspector Ashok Rana, head constables Shiv Kumar, Tejpal Singh, Mahavir Singh, constables Sumer Singh, Subhash Chand, Sunil Kumar and Kothari Ram.
- Connaught Place shootout: life term for 10 cops upheld - Sep 18, 2009
- CP shootout case: Supreme Court upholds life sentence for 10 policemen - May 02, 2011
- Home ministry to answer in CP shootout: Court - Jan 13, 2011
- CP shootout case: Supreme Court confirms cops' life sentences (Lead) - May 02, 2011
- Delhi staged shootout: Rs.15 lakh each for two victims' kin - Jul 04, 2011
- 15-day parole to police official in 1997 Connaught Place killing - Jun 15, 2011
- Court notice for more relief for shootout victim's kin (Lead) - Dec 07, 2011
- CP shootout case: apex court confirms cop's life sentence - May 02, 2011
- Delhi staged shootout: Rs.15 lakh for victims' families - Jul 04, 2011
- Convicted Delhi policeman gets parole to study law - Mar 15, 2010
- CP shootout case: Court to pronounce quantum of sentence - Nov 14, 2007
- 10 policemen get life sentence in CP shootout case - Nov 14, 2007
- Ex-cop gets bail in Rajasthan staged shootout - Aug 25, 2011
- Court summons six cops over shootout - Aug 27, 2011
- Parole pleas cleared, only 10 pending, Delhi court told - Dec 21, 2009