Conmen strike offshore Casino in Goa, three arrestedFebruary 10th, 2009 - 12:17 am ICT by IANS
Panaji, Feb 9 (IANS) Three employees of an offshore casino in Goa were arrested for conniving with conmen, who are believed to have swindled the casino operators to the tune of Rs 70,000, the police said Monday.
According to a complaint filed with the Panaji police, chief operating officer of Kings casino Arun Kapoor said the three employees in connivance with seven other clients, manipulated the roulette machine at the casino, defrauding the casino operator over a period of two months.
The police said while the amount mentioned in the casino was Rs.70,000 based on the prima facie assessment carried out by the casino management, the exact figure was a matter of investigation.
“We will arrive at the exact figure once we start investigating the complaint,” a police official said.
The three arrested employees have been sent to police custody, while seven others, who posed as clients at the offshore casino, are missing.
Goa is the only state in the country to have offshore casinos. The seven casinos dotting the Mandovi river have been the target of constant civil society ire. The opposition Bharatiya Janata Party has alleged massive corruption and flouting of rules in granting them licences.
- Goa BJP waters down stance on offshore casinos - Feb 23, 2012
- Goa's offshore casinos running without mandatory NOCs - Mar 16, 2011
- Goa orders closure of two offshore casinos - Jan 31, 2011
- Goa's floating casinos can't enter the sea - Sep 16, 2010
- Women's group claims Goa government in cahoots with casinos - Aug 13, 2012
- Goans, under 21s, may be banned from Goa's casinos - Jul 05, 2012
- Goa Catholic priest opposes offshore casinos near village - Sep 21, 2010
- Goa's offshore casino operators withdraw petition - Sep 23, 2010
- BJP budget blows hot and cold on Goa's offshore casinos - Mar 27, 2012
- Casino revenue could fund Goa's old age homes: Parrikar - Aug 08, 2012
- Limited, yet luxurious: Gaming gets big in India - Sep 21, 2011
- Goa ministers took money to shield floating casinos: Parrikar - Sep 16, 2010
- Goa puts a freeze on new ore carrying barges - Jul 05, 2012
- Goa casinos need regulatory authority: Casino operator - Nov 15, 2011
- Goa earned Rs.30 crore from casino entry fee - Aug 06, 2012