Conmen held in Delhi for bid to dupe northeast legislatorsJune 14th, 2012 - 9:36 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 14 (IANS) An impersonator who duped several people, including legislators from the northeast, by claiming to be a central government official was arrested here, police said Thursday. He was earlier booked in seven similar cases.
Sanjay Tiwari, 35, who hails from Faizabad in Uttar Pradesh, was arrested along with his associates Rattan Deep Gupta, 29, from east Delhi’s Mayur Vihar Phase-I Tuesday, a police official said.
Tiwari posed as additional personal secretary in a central government ministry and tried to dupe two legislators from the northeast in the garb of speeding up the release of central monetary grants to them.
He along with his associate was also running two news portals - tiranganews and ujalanews.
“The master fraudster has a past criminal record and was arrested seven times for similar offences of impersonation, cheating and extortion,” said Sanjay Kumar Jain, deputy commissioner of police (crime and railways).
“The impostor had approached several MLAs of the northeast region. In a case in April this year, Tiwari called up two MLAs. He had promised to assist them in processing and fast-tracking their requests for central monetary grants from the ministry. He had demanded ’speed money’ to help them get grants quicker,” said Jain.
“The MLAs got suspicious over his conduct. During their inquiry they found that some conman was trying to dupe them. Then a case was registered,” said Jain.
In 2005 and 2007, Tiwari and his associates, posing as news reporters, extorted money from the drivers of three vehicles carrying cooking gas cylinders in the capital.
- Four nabbed for duping railway job seekers - Aug 25, 2012
- Conman posing as Babbar Khalsa militant arrested - Dec 13, 2010
- BJP MLA arrested in Rajasthan, granted bail - May 29, 2012
- Extortionist gang posing as reporters arrested - Dec 25, 2010
- Bengal has maximum tainted legislators, Assam least: Study - May 16, 2011
- Fake army recruitment racket busted - Jun 21, 2011
- Court denies bail to two held in Himachal land racket - Nov 02, 2011
- Gang of fraudsters busted, three arrested from UP - Sep 19, 2012
- Scam in Rajasthan pre-medical test for third time - Jul 26, 2011
- Jharkhand legislator accused of honour killing surrenders - May 24, 2011
- Maoist Kobad Ghandy to stand trial for cheating (Second Lead) - Mar 28, 2012
- Abhishek Verma, wife granted bail, arrested afresh - Aug 08, 2012
- Two journalists held for extortion bid in Delhi - Jul 07, 2011
- Rajasthan police officer denied bail in Dara Singh killing - Aug 22, 2012
- Teen held for killing friend - Jun 27, 2011
Tags: commissioner of police, conman, deputy commissioner, east delhi, faizabad, fraudster, gas cylinders, government ministry, government official, impersonation, impersonator, impostor, mayur vihar phase, mlas, monetary grants, news reporters, personal secretary, police crime, police official, sanjay kumar