Congress wishes ‘best’ to Jayalalithaa on poll victoryMay 13th, 2011 - 2:55 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 13 (IANS) The Congress Friday admitted to its election defeat by the AIADMK in Tamil Nadu and wished the best to J. Jayalalithaa, who is set to be the chief minister of the state for the third time.
“If Jayalalitha has taken her party to victory, she certainly deserves our best wishes and hope she will do a good job,” Congress spokesperson Jayanthi Natarajan said.
Natarajan said the Congress that fought the polls jointly with the ruling DMK had “expected to do much much better” in Tamil Nadu.
“But we are certainly surprised at the leads that have been shown. We will introspect on it,” she said.
Admitting that the graft issue had played a role in the election results, Natarajan said: “Nobody can possibly say corruption is a fake issue.”
But she quickly added that the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government did not shy away from taking action against graft accused even as the elections were approaching.
“It is the UPA that has always taken transparent and visible action against corruption, as a result of which a DMK minister is today in jail even though elections were round the corner and senior DMK leaders have been interrogated,” she said.
She was referring to DMK’s A. Raja, the former IT and communications minister and Kanimozhi, DMK supremo M. Karunanidhi, for their alleged involvement in the 2G spectrum scam.
Raja has been arrested for allegedly selling scarce telephony waves at throwaway prices to private firms.
Kanimozhi has been named by the CBI as a co-accused in the case. Her bail plea will be heard by a court here Saturday.
- 2G case will not effect alliance with DMK: Congress (Lead) - May 06, 2011
- CBI quizzes Kanimozhi, Dayalu Ammal on 2G spectrum scam (Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
- Congress-DMK ties intact, says Azad - May 24, 2011
- Now, Karunanidhi's daughter co-accused in 2G spectrum case (Roundup) - Apr 25, 2011
- Kanimozhi to be quizzed soon on 2G spectrum (Roundup) - Mar 10, 2011
- Azad meets Karunanidhi; ties with DMK intact, says Congress (Lead) - May 24, 2011
- Kanimozhi, four others get bail, Karunanidhi beams (Roundup) - Nov 28, 2011
- Kanimozhi, five others released from Tihar (Roundup) - Nov 29, 2011
- Jayanthi returns to union ministry after a decade - Jul 12, 2011
- Charge-sheeting Kanimozhi a belated move: Opposition parties - Apr 25, 2011
- DMK backs Kanimozhi, says will fight 2G legally - Apr 27, 2011
- Karunanidhi backs Kanimozhi's role as a party worker - Apr 27, 2011
- CBI questions Karunanidhi's wife, daughter in 2G scam (Third Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
- PAC on 2G: Manmohan gets clean chit, PMO in dock - Apr 27, 2011
- Tamil Nadu Rajya Sabha bypoll on July 22 - Jun 24, 2011
Tags: aiadmk, bail plea, cbi, chief minister, dmk, election defeat, good job, j jayalalithaa, jayalalitha, jayanthi, jayanthi natarajan, m karunanidhi, private firms, progressive alliance, raja, spokesperson, third time, throwaway prices, UPA, visible action