Congress wins from BJP bastion Rajinder Nagar (Second lead)December 15th, 2008 - 7:29 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 15 (IANS) The Congress bagged one more seat in the Delhi assembly Monday when its candidate Ramakant Goswami snatched the Rajinder Nagar seat from the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) by defeating late legislator Puran Chand Yogi’s wife Asha Yogi.Elections were deferred to Dec 13 after Yogi, who had been representing Rajinder Nagar in the Delhi assembly since 1993, committed suicide last month in the run-up to the polls.
The Congress’ tally has now reached 43 in the 70-member assembly while the BJP has 23 seats.
According to figures with the office of Delhi’s chief electoral officer, Goswami got 29,394 votes, Asha Yogi managed 23,988 and 15,871 votes were polled in favour of Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) candidate Trilok Chand Sharma.
The result has come as another shock for BJP, which is still recovering from the poll debacle.
“The defeat in Rajinder Nagar was a result of a wave in favour of Congress. We are analysing the results of the Delhi elections and the process is expected to take at least another fortnight,” Delhi BJP spokesperson Mewa Ram Arya told IANS.
The BJP had entrusted party veteran Madan Lal Khurana to oversee the elections at Rajinder Nagar and was banking on a win.
For Congress, it is another proof of people supporting the development work done by their party.
“It clearly shows the faith of people in the Sheila Dikshit led government in Delhi. We were able to win the BJP bastion Rajinder Nagar constituency on the basis of good work and development done by the Congress government,” said Delhi Congress chief J.P Aggarwal.
- Congress snatches Delhi's Rajinder Nagar seat from BJP (Lead, Superseding earlier story) - Dec 15, 2008
- Congress defeats BJP in Rajinder Nagar constituency - Dec 15, 2008
- Delhi's Rajinder Nagar votes - Dec 13, 2008
- 50 percent vote in Delhi's Rajinder Nagar - Dec 13, 2008
- Congress wins Rajender Nagar seat - Dec 15, 2008
- BJP ropes in Khurana for postponed Delhi seat election - Dec 12, 2008
- BJP sweeps corporation polls in Uttar Pradesh (Lead) - Jul 08, 2012
- Congress embarrassed after drubbing by Akalis (Punjab Newsletter) - Jun 15, 2012
- Munda licks wounds after BJP defeat - May 04, 2012
- Delhi civic polls: BJP heads for big lead (Second Lead) - Apr 17, 2012
- Dejection, disbelief over rout pervades Delhi BJP - Dec 09, 2008
- All set for Punjab vote count - Mar 05, 2012
- Counting of votes for Rajendra Nagar Assembly begins - Dec 15, 2008
- Delhi BJP MLA commits suicide (Lead) - Nov 16, 2008
- BJP wrests Congress bastion in Himachal, loses another - Dec 04, 2011