Congress walkout from Himachal assembly over wrong India mapFebruary 13th, 2009 - 7:15 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Feb 13 (IANS) The main opposition Congress Friday assailed the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) government in Himachal Pradesh over glaring omissions in India’s map published in its official diary, and staged a walkout from the state assembly.
Raising the issue after the question hour, Leader of Opposition Vidya Stokes said the government had committed a shameful act by publishing in the diary a wrong map of the country, in which international boundaries were tampered with.
“This (the wrong map) has given a tool in the hands of anti-India countries to create problems for India,” she said. “The state government should apologise to the nation for this mistake.”
Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal admitted that “publishing the wrong map is a mistake”.
“We regret the mistake committed in the publication of the map. We have ordered an inquiry in this regard and prima facie three officials have been charge-sheeted,” Dhumal said.
The Congress legislators, who were not satisfied with the reply of the chief minister, staged a walkout from the house.
The map, published on the turn page of the diary’s cover, shows the network of country’s national highways in a two-colour contrast. Both Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK) and Aksai Chin are printed in different shades and have not been shown as part of India.
A dotted line does indicate the outline of the country’s boundary, but a computer generated shade alters the original image showing PoK and Aksai Chin as not part of India.
- Himachal government pulled up for wrong India map (Lead) - Feb 13, 2009
- Himachal Pradesh official diary prints India's map wrong - Feb 11, 2009
- Omar Abdullah pulls up PDP for controversial J-K map - Feb 13, 2011
- Congress pulls up PDP for controversial J-K map - Feb 14, 2011
- India monitoring border developments for national security: Krishna - Apr 06, 2011
- Government site has distorted map of India (Lead) (With Images) - Apr 20, 2011
- Incomplete map of India removed from government website - Apr 22, 2011
- India protests US depiction of Kashmir as Pakistani territory - Nov 21, 2011
- Congress asks PDP to withdraw controversial map (Lead) - Feb 14, 2011
- Government website has incomplete map of India (With Image) - Apr 20, 2011
- Chinese intrusion: Dhumal writes to Manmohan Singh - Mar 25, 2012
- Youth 'kidnapped' by LeT returns to India from PoK - Jun 13, 2012
- Government downplays report on Chinese construction in disputed area - Apr 17, 2012
- Govt. monitoring situation along PoK, Krishna assures BJP - Apr 07, 2011
- The sinister truth behind China's border incursion misadventure (Part-I) - Sep 18, 2009