Congress trying reservation card in UP polls: BJPDecember 24th, 2011 - 8:32 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 24 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Saturday alleged that the Congress was trying to make a place for itself in the Uttar Pradesh polls through reservation.
“Congress is trying to give people the opium of reservation to hijack votes. Today, they are remembering Muslim and Jat reservation. Tomorrow, they will remember some other reservation,” BJP leader Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi told reporters in the national capital.
Speaking to a TV news channel, BJP leader Rajnath Singh termed religion-based quota “a political stunt” and said it would only help the Muslim elite.
“The government quota based on religion will benefit the elite class. Poor Muslims will not get any benefit,” Singh said.
He also rejected any chance of forging an alliance with the Samajwadi Party or the Bahujan Samaj Party. “There is no question of forging an alliance with SP, or BSP,” Singh said.
With the Election Commission announcing dates for polls in five states, the Uttar Pradesh is in the focus of attention, with a major battle between the ruling Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP), Samajwadi Party (SP), the Congress and the BJP.
Uttar Pradesh will see a seven-phase polling on Feb 4, 8, 11, 15, 19, 23 and 28.
- Parties welcome poll announcement (Lead) - Dec 24, 2011
- BJP won't tolerate religion-based quota: Uma Bharti (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- Congress should tie up with BSP: Beni Prasad Verma - Mar 04, 2012
- UP politics still 'caste' in stone - Feb 08, 2012
- BJP takes Khurshid's quota comment to poll panel (Lead) - Jan 10, 2012
- Parties divided over minority quota - Dec 23, 2011
- BSP trying to cover sins: BJP - Nov 21, 2011
- Mayawati quits, warns against SP's hooliganism (Third Lead) - Mar 07, 2012
- No post-poll alliance for BJP: Gadkari - Mar 05, 2012
- Penultimate round of UP polls on Tuesday - Feb 27, 2012
- Mayawati blames Congress, BJP, Muslims for rout (Fourth Lead) - Mar 07, 2012
- Hung assembly, Samajwadi Party to be largest party: Exit polls (Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Quota row: Poll panel notice to Khurshid on BJP's complaint (Night Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- BJP moves EC over Khurshid's remarks on Muslim quota (Evening Lead) - Jan 10, 2012
- Verma seeks post-poll ties with BSP, Congress terms it personal view (Lead) - Mar 04, 2012
Tags: abbas, bahujan samaj party, bharatiya janata party, bjp, bsp, congress, dec 24, election commission, elite, muslim, muslims, naqvi, New Delhi, opium, political stunt, quota, rajnath singh, reservation card, Samajwadi Party, tv news