Congress tries to mollify sulking VirbhadraJuly 27th, 2012 - 10:44 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 27 (IANS) The Congress Friday made efforts to mollify former Himachal Pradesh chief minister Virbhadra Singh after the septuagenarian leader offered to resign from party panels set up to boost preparations for assembly polls scheduled later this year.
Party general secretary Digvijay Singh Friday met Virbhadra Singh in a bid to pacify him. Ahmed Patel, political secretary to Congress president Sonia Gandhi, also met Virbhadra Singh during the day.
Sources said Virbhadra Singh had offered to resign from the party committees over the way the party campaign was being built up in the state.
They said Virbhadra Singh was peeved over the composition of the campaign committee and manifesto committee and his non-inclusion in the screening panel constituted by the party Tuesday also came as a surprise to his associates.
The manifesto committee is chaired by Commerce Minister Anand Sharma. Virbhadra Singh, who is also a member of the panel, did not attend its last meeting.
Sources said that the party had named Virbhadra Singh as chairman of the campaign committee but appointed its members without consulting him.
The screening panel, which will have a major say in deciding tickets for candidates, is chaired by Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit. Its members include Minister of State for Home Jitendra Singh, party general secretary Birender Singh, state Congress chief Kaul Singh Thakur and legislative party leader Vidya Stokes.
Sources said Virbhadra Singh, a five-time chief minister and a popular face of the party in the state, is keen to have a say in distribution of tickets to ensure that his loyalists were not left out.
Virbhadra Singh had resigned from the Manmohan Singh cabinet last month in the wake of a Shimla court order in a 23-year-old corruption case.
- Congress assures sulking Virbhadra of larger say in candidate selection (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- No question of quitting Congress: Virbhadra - Aug 01, 2012
- BJP united, Congress divided ahead of polls (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Jul 28, 2012
- Virbhadra determined to steer assembly poll (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Aug 03, 2012
- Congress mulling naming Virbhadra Himachal unit chief - Aug 24, 2012
- Virbhadra Singh appointed Congress' Himachal chief - Aug 29, 2012
- Congress appoints Virbhadra campaign committee chief for Himachal elections - Jul 17, 2012
- Sonia rallies in Himachal in September - Aug 29, 2012
- Virbhadra as chief to end Himachal Congress confusion (News Analysis) - Aug 26, 2012
- Virbhadra faces graft charge; says will resign if asked to (Roundup) - Jun 26, 2012
- Suspense over Virbhadra as Himachal Congress chief - Aug 25, 2012
- Virbhadra Singh is Himachal Congress chief - Aug 26, 2012
- Himachal Congress gives 'charge sheet' against BJP regime - Aug 23, 2012
- Virbhadra to head Congress' Himachal poll campaign - Jun 30, 2012
- Virbhadra Singh meets Sonia, supporters - Aug 22, 2012
Tags: anand sharma, assembly polls, campaign committee, chief minister, commerce minister, congress chief, congress president sonia gandhi, corruption case, digvijay singh, kaul, manmohan, manmohan singh, party campaign, party committees, political secretary, screening panel, septuagenarian, state congress, thakur, time chief