Congress to probe if party TV insulted AntonyFebruary 21st, 2008 - 10:03 pm ICT by admin
Thiruvananthapuram, Feb 21 (IANS) The Congress in Kerala will “look into” complaints that a programme telecast by party-backed Jaihind TV channel insulted party leader and Defence Minister A.K. Antony. “It is a 24-hour TV channel and I can’t be looking into every programme. But we have no qualms to look into (the matter) if any programme that has been aired by the channel insulted Antony. I also wish to add that ours is not a TV channel meant to portray political leaders, irrespective of their party affiliations, in poor light,” state Congress president Ramesh Chennithala said Thursday.
During the past week the local media has reported that Antony was upset over a political satire aired by Jaihind last month which showed him and veteran leader K. Karunakaran fighting with swords.
This issue was first raised by Antony’s aides who wanted to find out if this was the work of Congress leaders opposed to Antony. They said the issue would be taken up with the party high command.
In the political satire, an Antony look alike Rajiv Kalamassery, who has appeared as ‘Antony’ in three films, more than 700 stage shows and in TV programmes, played the lead role.
The Jaihind channel was launched last year in New Delhi by Congress president Sonia Gandhi.
- Kerala state Congress gears up for revamp - Aug 05, 2012
- Rosaiah meets Congress leaders in Delhi - Nov 23, 2010
- Karunakaran: A colossus who rubbed shoulders with Nehru, Indira (Obituary) - Dec 23, 2010
- Karunakaran was a kingmaker in national politics: Antony - Dec 23, 2010
- Karunakaran leaves behind sterling political legacy (Tribute) - Dec 24, 2010
- Congress duo proves winning combination in Kerala - Nov 09, 2010
- 'Some minister's personal staff run Kerala government - Jul 29, 2012
- Congress chief to decide on re-entry of Karunakaran's son - Dec 29, 2010
- TV show critical of Sonia Gandhi very serious issue: Moily - Nov 22, 2010
- Kerala mourns as Karunakaran dies, CPI-M salutes him (Roundup) - Dec 23, 2010
- Will Jaganmohan Reddy express regret to Sonia Gandhi? - Nov 27, 2010
- 50 percent newcomers, women, youth likely in Congress' Kerala list - Mar 23, 2011
- Congress readies list of candidates in Kerala - Mar 15, 2011
- Former Kerala chief minister Karunakaran dead, cremation Saturday (Second Lead) - Dec 23, 2010
- No transparency in selecting party leadership: Karunakarn - Jul 03, 2010