Congress to go alone in Punjab assembly pollsJuly 15th, 2011 - 9:35 pm ICT by IANS
Nawanshehr (Punjab), July 15 (IANS) The opposition Congress in Punjab will contest next year’s state assembly elections on its own, former chief minister Amarinder Singh said here Friday.
Singh, who is also Punjab Congress committee president, said the Congress was not seeking any alliance with any political party in the state and it would sweep the elections on its own.
“Unlike the Akalis and the BJP, the Congress does not need any alliance partners in Punjab,” Amarinder told party leaders and workers during his tour of the Shaheed Bhagat Singh Nagar district (earlier known as Nawanshehr).
Assembly elections to 117 seats are scheduled to be held February-March next year in Punjab.
The ruling Akali Dal, which runs an alliance government in Punjab since March 2007, had recently indicated that it could tie-up with the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) for the assembly poll.
Amarinder Singh said the BSP had already snubbed Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal and spurned his offer of alliance.
“Even if the alliance had materialized, the Akalis would still be defeated in any case,” Amarinder claimed.
In recent weeks, Amarinder Singh has covered 72 out of 117 assembly segments during his tours in the run-up to next year’s polls.
- Prominent candidates in Punjab assembly polls - Jan 28, 2012
- Congress to launch save Punjab campaign Tuesday - Oct 30, 2011
- Amarinder asks Congressmen to hit Akalis - Nov 01, 2011
- Badal asks Ramoowalia to rejoin Akali Dal - Nov 22, 2011
- Sukhbir Badal's 25-year-rule: resolve or pipedream? (Punjab Newsletter) - Dec 11, 2011
- Amarinder's return to Punjab is news! (Punjab Newsletter) - Aug 31, 2012
- Uncertainty looms as Punjab leaders await results - Mar 04, 2012
- All set for Punjab vote count - Mar 05, 2012
- Words heat up as Punjab's political temperature soars - Aug 23, 2011
- Punjab parties welcome Jan 30 assembly poll announcement - Dec 24, 2011
- In poll heat, Punjab lingo hots up too (Punjab Newsletter) - Nov 20, 2011
- Akali Dal releases second list of candidates - Dec 27, 2011
- Amarinder attacks Akalis over Punjab police chief - Jul 09, 2011
- Thousands turn up for rallies at Bhagat Singh's village - Mar 23, 2011
- Akali Dal-BJP kick off Punjab poll campaign - Dec 18, 2011
Tags: alliance government, alliance partners, assembly elections, assembly poll, assembly polls, badal, bahujan samaj party, bahujan samaj party bsp, bjp, chief minister, committee president, congress committee, february march, opposition congress, party leaders, segments, shaheed bhagat singh, state assembly