Congress to announce Rajya Sabha candidate from Kerala Jan 30January 29th, 2009 - 7:13 pm ICT by IANS
Kochi (Kerala) Jan 29 (IANS) The Congress party will announce its candidate from Kerala to the Rajya Sabha Jan 30, a senior party leader said Thursday.Senior Congress leader and United Democratic Front (UDF) convenor P.P. Thankachen told reporters here that the name of the candidate will be announced after a meeting of the top brass of the party is held in the state capital Friday.
The Rajya Sabha teures of Minister for Overseas Indian Affairs Vayalar Ravi, senior Congress leader Thennala Balakrishnan and Communist Party of India-Marxist leader K. Chandran Pillai end next month.
The ruling Left Democratic Front (LDF) has 98 members while the United Democratic Front (UDF) has 42 members in the 140-member state legislative assembly - the electoral college for the Rajya Sabha.
With more seats in the assembly, it is expected that the LDF will romp home with two seats while the UDF will win one.
“Hectic discussions are on in Delhi and it will be finalised there itself and tomorrow (Friday) it would only be a mere announcement here,” said a Congress leader who did not wish to be identified.
The names of state chief of the Congress Ramesh Chennithala, Vayalar Ravi and 90-year-old K. Karunakaran are doing the rounds for the lone seat the Congress, the dominant party in the UDF, can win from the state.
“Staking a claim by Karunakaran is nothing but a ploy to secure a seat to his nominee when the 17 candidates are finalised for the ensuing Lok Sabha elections,” added the Congress leader.
- Rajya Sabha elections in Kerala to be held Monday - Jun 22, 2012
- UDF wins 2 Rajya Sabha seats, LDF 1 in Kerala - Jun 25, 2012
- Kerala CPI-M fields Chintha editor for Rajya Sabha (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- Kerala CPI-M fields Chintha editor for Rajya Sabha - Jun 07, 2012
- Will win, but not by huge margin: Vayalar Ravi - May 13, 2011
- Congress' Kerala unit asks Sonia to name Rajya Sabha candidate - Jan 30, 2009
- UDF candidates list to be out in a few days: Chennithala - Mar 14, 2011
- Chandy off to Delhi to discuss fifth berth controversy - Apr 15, 2012
- Congress duo proves winning combination in Kerala - Nov 09, 2010
- Rajya Sabha nominations: Congress names Vayalar Ravi, Left two journalists (Lead, Changing dateline) - Feb 02, 2009
- Congress-led front will win in Kerala, says party report - Apr 21, 2011
- Chandy likely to be next Kerala chief minister - May 15, 2011
- LDF, UDF in neck and neck race in Kerala - May 13, 2011
- Three leaders desert UDF camp in Kerala - Mar 21, 2011
- Rival Kerala fronts to meet over Rajya Sabha seats - Jan 15, 2009