Congress student activists clash with Kerala policeJune 19th, 2008 - 7:46 pm ICT by IANS
Kozhikode, June 19 (IANS) Protests organised by the Kerala Students Union (KSU), affiliated with the state’s main opposition Congress party, to collectorates at Thrissur, Malappuram and Pathanamthitta turned violent Thursday resulting in injuries to participants as well as policemen. The KSU organised the marches to demand withdrawal of the Social Studies textbook for Class 7. The new textbook, KSU says, is being used by the left Democratic Front (LDF) government to spread communist ideology among students.
Students threw stones at police who blocked their marches and the policemen baton-charged the activists.
In Thrissur, Congress legislator T.N. Pratapan was also injured in police action.
The party has called for a dawn-to-dusk shutdown in Thrissur district Friday to protest police action.
In Malappuram, police baton charged and burst teargas shells to disperse students who were throwing stones. A few students and policemen suffered injuries in the clashes.
In Pathanamthitta, two student activists suffered injuries when police used force to disperse the march.
The KSU said it would organise a shutdown of educational institutes Friday.
Reacting to the police action, Congress state president Ramesh Chennithala said in Thiruvananthapuram that the government should withdraw the textbook instead of suppressing the student agitation using force.
Congress leaders will hold a sit-in in front of the state secretariat at Thiruvananthapuram Friday to protest against the police action, he added.
- Protests in Kerala over petrol price rise - Sep 16, 2011
- Chandrababu Naidu visits Warangal despite shutdown, protests (Lead) - Jan 06, 2012
- Naidu reaches Warangal amid shutdown, protests - Jan 06, 2012
- Ten students held for stoning Rajasthan BJP leader's house - Aug 19, 2012
- Bhopal survivors block rail tracks, call off stir (Lead) - Dec 03, 2011
- Vijayamma's fast in Telangana concludes amid protests - Jul 23, 2012
- Shutdown on JKLF founder's death anniversary - Feb 11, 2012
- Telangana shutdown: Tension in Osmania University - Jul 05, 2011
- Tension as cops clash with students, stop Telangana march - Sep 19, 2011
- Bhopal survivors beaten back from rail blockade - Dec 03, 2011
- Six injured as villagers clash with police - Mar 05, 2012
- Beef festival turns Osmania into battlefied, student stabbed - Apr 16, 2012
- One killed, 41 injured in Tripura clash - Jul 11, 2011
- Protests in Telangana mark Andhra Pradesh formation day - Nov 01, 2011
- Clashes continue in Osmania University, protests rock Telangana (Lead) - Jan 07, 2011