Congress seeks probe into Videocon’s land acquisitionJuly 5th, 2011 - 3:07 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, July 5 (IANS) Congress leader and Chhattisgarh former chief minister Ajit Jogi Tuesday sought a probe by a state assembly panel into land acquisition by Videocon Industries for setting up a thermal plant in the state.
“The land acquisition scandal by Videocon needs to be probed by a panel of the state assembly because a thorough and independent probe will expose that several big fish of the state’s Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) are involved,” Jogi said in a statement.
The demand for a house panel probe came after the state government ordered the company last week to return land of a few tribals.
The Videocon project’s fate hangs in balance after the district collector found true a media report that said the company used Sandeep Kanwar, son of the state’s home minister Nankiram Kanwar, as a frontman to acquire the tribals’ land.
Sandeep, a tribal who works as a public relations officer for the Chhattisgarh project of the company, purchased land from the tribals and then transferred it to the company.
He did this to help out Videocon to escape section 165(6) of Chhattisgarh’s land revenue code that states ‘tribal land cannot be sold to a non-tribal without the district collector’s permission’.
Videocon is setting up a 1,200MW coal-fired plant based on supercritical technology at Gaud village in Janjgir-Champa district.
- Chhattisgarh farmers renew protest against power project - Jan 18, 2011
- Tribal daily wager buys 74 acres of prime land in Chhattisgarh - Dec 01, 2011
- 'Fertile land won't be acquired for power plants' - Sep 05, 2012
- Power plant protest turns violent, dozens injured - Jan 17, 2011
- Chhattisgarh's prime farm lands caught in 'power' grab - Mar 02, 2011
- Power plant protest turns violent, dozens injured (Lead) - Jan 17, 2011
- CBI raids offices of three firms in Chhattisgarh - Sep 04, 2012
- Congress slams Chhattisgarh for 'selling' rivers, dams - Feb 22, 2011
- House panel to probe Chhattisgarh 'dam sale' - Mar 04, 2011
- BJP silent over Congress' charges of selling dam - Jan 21, 2011
- L&T bags Rs.1,449 crore order for a Chhattisgarh power plant - Oct 19, 2010
- Chhattisgarh to build seven barrages on Mahanadi - Jan 15, 2011
- Chhattisgarh assembly stalled over 'dam sell-out' (Lead) - Mar 04, 2011
- Work on Chhattisgarh power plant by year-end - Mar 09, 2010
- Man held with silver worth Rs.2.4 million - Apr 21, 2011
Tags: ajit jogi, assembly panel, bharatiya janata party, bjp, chief minister, coal, congress leader, fate, frontman, home minister, independent probe, land acquisition, public relations officer, scandal, section 165, state assembly, state government, tribal land, tribals, videocon industries