Congress seeks judicial probe in Dantewada killingAugust 18th, 2011 - 11:30 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, Aug 18 (IANS) Chhattisgarh’s opposition Congress Thursday sought a judicial inquiry into killing of a village head allegedly by para-military troopers in a staged shootout earlier this month.
“The Chhattisgarh government should issue order for a judicial probe into killing of a village head, Madkami Massa, who was shot dead by police branding him as a Maoist,” state unit Congress chief Nandkumar Patel said, in a press statement released here.
The killing of Chikpal village head, Massa, who was allegedly picked up from his village by the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) in early August and found dead, had generated widespread protest in Chhattisgarh’s Dantewada, India’s worst insurgency-hit district, with local residents and local legislator Kawasi Lakhma staging protest for several days.
The CRPF and local police, that had claimed to kill the village head in an gunfight, had buried the body in a hurry, saying that there was none to claim it. But after days of public protest, the authorities exhumed the body and handed it over to the family after post-mortem.
- Ire over village head's slaying in Chhattisgarh mounts - Aug 13, 2011
- Staged gunfights: Congress walks out of Chhattisgarh assembly - Sep 09, 2011
- Congress questions Maoist killings in Chhattisgarh - Jun 30, 2012
- Congress seeks CBI probe into Chhattisgarh killings - Jul 02, 2012
- Panel to probe alleged excesses in Chhattisgarh village - Mar 24, 2011
- Congress threatens stir after 1,000 tribals arrested - Mar 21, 2012
- Six Maoist sympathisers held for Dantewada massacre - May 24, 2010
- Chhattisgarh seeks extra troopers for Bastar by-poll - Apr 25, 2011
- Chhattisgarh Police arrests six Naxals involved in Dantewada massacre - May 24, 2010
- Government defends Chattisgarh operation, activists seek independent probe (Roundup) - Jul 02, 2012
- By-poll ahead, but no one's campaigning in Bastar interiors - May 03, 2011
- 498 killed in Maoist violence since March 2010: Chhattisgarh - Mar 28, 2012
- Dantewada area not fully in our control: Raman Singh (Interview) - Mar 31, 2011
- Congress to raise Chhattisgarh killings in assembly session - Jul 05, 2012
- Maoists blow up CRPF vehicle, kill trooper in Chhattisgarh - Aug 06, 2012
Tags: authorities, chhattisgarh government, congress chief, crpf, early august, gunfight, hurry, India, insurgency, judicial inquiry, judicial probe, legislator, maoist, massa, opposition congress, police force, post mortem, public protest, reserve police