Congress rebels meet Andhra speaker for disqualificationDecember 26th, 2011 - 10:59 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Dec 26 (IANS) By-elections to several assembly constituencies in Andhra Pradesh appear imminent as 16 rebel legislators of the ruling Congress party Monday met the assembly speaker and urged him to disqualify them without any delay.
The legislators loyal to YSR Congress party chief Y.S. Jaganmohan Reddy met Speaker Nadendla Manohar in response to the notices issued by him last week.
The speaker’s action followed a petition by the ruling party to disqualify the legislators who violated the whip issued by the party during the recent no-confidence motion against the government.
The legislators held a meeting at Jaganmohan Reddy’s residence before reaching the assembly complex to meet the speaker. They urged the speaker to disqualify all of them immediately.
One of the rebels, Konda Surekha said they requested the speaker to take action against all of them in one go.
Jaganmohan Reddy has already challenged the Congress party to face the by-elections to 17 seats in one go.
The speaker has already initiated disqualification proceedings against one rebel legislator of Praja Rajyam Party (PRP). Shoba Nagireddy last week met Manohar in response to the notice issued to her.
Shoba and 16 Congress rebels had voted for the no-confidence motion moved by main opposition Telugu Desam Party (TDP) against the Congress government in the assembly on Dec 5. The motion was defeated.
If the speaker disqualifies 17 legislators, by-elections will be necessitated for these seats. By-polls are also to be held for eight other seats, which fell vacant recently following resignations of Congress and TDP rebels.
- Disqualify 16 rebel Andhra legislators: Congress - Dec 12, 2011
- Andhra speaker disqualifies 16 Jagan loyalists - Mar 03, 2012
- Congress to seek disqualification of 17 Andhra rebels - Dec 10, 2011
- PRP rebel legislator appears before Andhra speaker - Dec 19, 2011
- Andhra speaker disqualifies 16 Jagan loyalists (Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- By-elections to seven seats relief for Congress in Andhra - Feb 17, 2012
- Andhra parties welcome by-poll schedule - Apr 24, 2012
- Rebel Congress members refuse to meet Andhra speaker - Jan 18, 2012
- Manohar elected new speaker of Andhra assembly - Jun 04, 2011
- Congress, TDP, TRS issue whips to legislators - Dec 04, 2011
- Andhra governor prorogues legislature - Jun 07, 2011
- Andhra assembly adjourns, TDP fumes as trust move is ignored - Jun 04, 2011
- YSR party wants by-polls in one go - Feb 13, 2012
- TDP to move no-trust motion against Andhra government - Jun 02, 2011
- Andhra assembly adjourned for second day without business - Dec 02, 2011
Tags: andhra pradesh, assembly constituencies, assembly speaker, confidence motion, congress government, congress party, congress rebels, disqualification proceedings, elections, legislator, legislators, manohar, opposition, party chief, petition, polls, resignations, ruling party, tdp, whip