Congress protests Madhya Pradesh’s fertiliser, power shortage (Lead)January 9th, 2012 - 8:04 pm ICT by IANS
Bhopal, Jan 9 (IANS) The Congress in Madhya Pradesh held a statewide ‘jail bharo’ (court arrest) agitation Monday against the Shivraj Singh Chouhan government’s failure to provide farmers with fertilisers and adequate power supply.
While state Congress president Kantilal Bhuria led the protest in the state capital, Leader of Opposition in the assembly Ajay Singh Rahul was heading the agitation in the financial capital Indore.
Similar protests were held in Jabalpur, Gwalior, Rewa, Burhanpur and Ujjain districts and the rest of the state’s 48 districts.
“We have decided to observe 2012 as ‘Madhya Pradesh Bachao Year’ against Chouhan’s ‘Aao Banaye Apna Madhya Pradesh’ as the state government has failed to provide fertilisers and electricity to drought-hit farmers,” Bhuria told reporters before launching the protest in Bhopal.
He said over 100,000 Congress members would court arrest across the state.
However, state Industries Minister Kailash Vijayvargiya termed the protest a “flop show” and said the number of participants was not what the Congress leaders claimed.
- Congress highlights farmers plight in Madhya Pradesh - Jan 09, 2012
- IPS officer killing: Congress calls shutdown Tuesday - Mar 09, 2012
- Madhya Pradesh to have emergency '108' service in all districts - May 24, 2011
- Shops shut as Congress, Team Anna protest cop's murder - Mar 13, 2012
- Congress protests remarks by BJP leaders on ministers - May 23, 2011
- CBI to probe killing of Madhya Pradesh cop, Congress calls bandh (Second Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- Gwalior junior doctors call off strike - Nov 16, 2011
- Madhya Pradesh's junior doctors call off strike - Nov 20, 2011
- Kantilal Bhuria new chief of Congress in Madhya Pradesh - Apr 07, 2011
- BJP minister complains to Sonia over Bhuria's remarks - Nov 19, 2011
- MP witnessing worst drought of the century: Shivaraj Singh Chouhan - Aug 19, 2009
- Madhya Pradesh bypoll turns prestige issue for Congress, BJP - Jun 24, 2011
- A jail where families live with inmates - Dec 13, 2010
- Congress's new Madhya Pradesh leaders attack BJP chief - Apr 28, 2011
- Ramdev's eviction attack on Indian democracy: Chouhan - Jun 05, 2011
Tags: aao, adequate power, agitation, burhanpur, congress leaders, congress members, congress president, drought, fertiliser, gwalior, industries minister, jail bharo, kailash, leader of opposition, power shortage, protests, rahul, state congress, state government, ujjain