Congress, NC war of words hots up in KashmirNovember 1st, 2011 - 8:17 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Nov 1 (IANS) The war of words between Jammu and Kashmir’s ruling alliance partners exacerbated Tuesday with the Congress hitting out at a National Conference leader’s claim that infighting within the Congress was affecting functioning of the Omar Abdullah government.
In a hard-hitting reaction to National Conference additional general secretary and chief spokesperson Sheikh Mustafa Kamal’s allegation, Congress spokesperson Ravinder Sharma said it was “uncalled for and unwarranted”.
Kamal, uncle of Omar, speaking at a party workers’ convention in Kulgam in the valley Monday, said: “Congress should iron out its internal differences and let Chief Minister Omar Abdullah complete his mission.”
His reference was to the squabbling between Congress factions, led by state party chief Saifudin Soz and union Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad.
The statement did not go down well with the Congress.
In a statement, Sharma termed the comments “uncalled for and unwarranted utterances of National Conference spokesman Mustafa Kamal” and asked him to desist from issuing sermons to the Congress party.
“Kamal is in the habit of issuing highly objectionable statements which harm the interest of the coalition,” Sharma said, adding: “Congress party demands the National Conference leadership should restrain Kamal from such utterances, otherwise the party would be left with no option but to seek his dismissal from his party.”
- Kashmir Congress slams ally NC over leader's remarks - Jul 09, 2012
- Congress hits back at NC over 'grenade attacks' remark - Nov 02, 2011
- NC worried over Mustafa Kamal's outburst - Nov 23, 2011
- Omar hints at action against minister for 'azadi' remarks - Dec 08, 2010
- Omar made National Conference working president - Apr 07, 2012
- Farooq Abdullah asks brother to quit as party spokesman - Nov 10, 2011
- Congress rejects Farooq Abdullah's overtures - Nov 04, 2011
- Omar asks uncle not to drag him into controversy - Nov 22, 2011
- For 'azadi' remarks, Congress puts minister on notice - Dec 11, 2010
- Congress lambasts Omar for acting in 'arbitrary manner' - Oct 27, 2011
- NC leader intensifies attack on Congress - Jul 10, 2012
- My word on rotation of chief minister final: Soz - Dec 25, 2011
- National Conference flays Congress leader's remarks - Jun 15, 2011
- Farooq, Omar crumbling to Congress pressure: Mustafa Kamal (Interview) - Nov 24, 2011
- Omar government telling lies, claims Mehbooba - Oct 29, 2011
Tags: allegation, alliance partners, chief minister, chief spokesperson, conference leader, conference leadership, congress party, general secretary, ghulam nabi azad, health minister, infighting, internal differences, jammu and kashmir, mustafa kamal, objectionable statements, party chief, ravinder, soz, utterances, war of words