Congress MPs to submit a report to PM about Sri Lanka visitApril 22nd, 2012 - 12:09 am ICT by IANS
Chennai, April 21 (IANS) Members of Parliament belonging to the Congress party who were part of the parliamentary delegation to Sri Lanka said Saturday that a report about the visit would be submitted to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
An Indian parliamentary delegation led by Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Sushma Swaraj had been to Sri Lanka April 16-21 to see first hand the rehabilitation programme for the internally displaced people (IDP), mainly Tamils, there.
Speaking to reporters here on their return the four MPs — N.S.V.Chithan, M.Krishnasamy, E.M. Sudarsana Natchiappan and Manik Tagore — termed the visit as fruitful.
They said there is a sense of fear amongst the Tamils in some areas in Sri Lanka. Yhe community is under constant watch by the Sri Lankan army and they had asked the island nations’ government there to call back the army, they said.
According to Natchiappan, the MPs delegation visited various places in Sri Lanka including the Menik farm where Tamil are lodged.
He said the number of people lodged in the Menik camp is around 6,000 down from 250,000 during the last visit by Indian MPs in 2010.
They said the Sri Lankan government has assured them that the remaining inmates would be resettled soon.
According to the MPs, the Indian delegation have impressed upon the Sri Lankan government to devolve powers to the Tamils there.
The Indian parliamentary delegation met Tamil representatives and the affected Tamils and heard their problems.
“We met Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa and told him what needs to be done and he in turn assured us that whatever he could do would be done,” said Natchiappan.
- Joint parliamentary panel begins goodwill visit to Lanka - Apr 16, 2012
- DMK withdraws from MPs delegation to Sri Lanka - Apr 15, 2012
- AIADMK out of MPs team to Sri Lanka - Apr 11, 2012
- Rajapaksa has given firm commitment to empower Tamils: Krishna - Jan 20, 2012
- Indian MPs head to Sri Lanka to study Tamil relief camps - Oct 10, 2009
- Rajapaksa assures Krishna of power-devolution to Tamils - Jan 17, 2012
- Sri Lanka invites Jaya, Swaraj to visit Colombo in September - Aug 26, 2011
- India assures Lanka's displaced Tamils of help in resettlement - Aug 31, 2010
- Indian delegation holds talks in Sri Lanka - Apr 17, 2012
- Tamil delegation from Sri Lanka meets S M Krishna in New Delhi - Jul 08, 2010
- Krishna to push for political settlement of Tamil issue (Lead) - Jan 16, 2012
- India assures assistance to Sri Lanka's war-displaced Tamils - Aug 31, 2010
- All-party delegation to meet visiting Sri Lankan President Rajapaksa - Jun 07, 2010
- Travel advisory: India assures safety to visiting Sri Lankans (Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- India for revival of political process in Sri Lanka (Lead) - Dec 04, 2009
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,