Congress MP Naveen Jindal flies in fighter at air showFebruary 15th, 2009 - 12:02 am ICT by IANS
Bangalore, Feb 14 (IANS) Congress parliamentarian and industrialist Naveen Jindal was Saturday flown in fighter jet F/A 18 of US aerospace major Boeing at Aero India international air show here.
“I dedicate this amazing flight experience to my wife Shallu to mark Valentine’s Day. The hour-long sortie made me realise how a bird flies,” a beaming Jindal told reporters after the Super Hornet touched base at the Indian Air Force (IAF) station in Yelahanka, 20 km from this tech hub.
Jindal, 39, who holds a commercial pilot’s license, said though he flew many a civilian aircraft, flying in a jet fighter was unique, as the glass cockpit enabled him to pass through clouds and “touch the sky”.
“It’s an altogether different experience with clouds around and a deep blue sky above. Now I know how a bird feels when cruising up there,” Jindal said.
Boeing test pilot Caitlin, nicknamed ‘Odd Job’ (OJ) said the strike fighter touched 7.4G (gravity) level during the sortie at one point.
“Holding the joy stick (controls), I tried simple manoeuvres, which were easy but spiral turns were tough. OJ took the control for conducting complex elliptical turns,” Jindal pointed out.
Jindal is the third celebrity to fly a combat aircraft during the seventh biennial air show.
Indian ace shooter and only Olympic gold medalist Abhinav Bindra flew fighter jet F-16 Super Viper of the US aerospace major Lockheed Martin Thursday, while India’s only cosmonaut Wing Commander (retd) Rakesh Sharma co-piloted Super Hornet Friday.
The US strike fighters Super Hornet and Super Viper are in the race for the IAF order, floated to induct 126 medium multi-role combat aircraft (MMRCA) into its depleting fleet and replace in phases its ageing Russian-made MiG-21 fighters.
- Naveen Jindal flies French Rafael at Bangalore's Aero India show - Feb 12, 2011
- Ratan Tata co-pilots Boeing fighter at air show - Feb 10, 2011
- Bollywood star Shahid Kapoor flies in F-16 at air show - Feb 12, 2011
- Ratan Tata to fly F/A-18 Super Hornet at Aero India - Feb 10, 2011
- India shops for combat aircraft at Farnborough - Jul 20, 2010
- Thousands flock in as air show opens to public - Feb 12, 2011
- Dazzling fly-past, daring aerobatics mark Aero India launch (Lead) - Feb 09, 2011
- Nut graph on combat jet contenders - Apr 28, 2011
- Shahid to fly in F-16 fighter jet at AeroIndia - Feb 05, 2011
- Aerobatic display by fighter jets, copters to be major attraction of Aero India 2011 - Feb 08, 2011
- Antony opens Asia's biggest air show in Bangalore - Feb 09, 2011
- Lockheed begins F-16 trials for Indian Air Force - Sep 07, 2009
- Flight trials of F/A-18 Super Hornet begin - Aug 17, 2009
- BAE Systems achieves major capability milestone on Typhoon - Mar 07, 2011
- IAF on cusp of acquiring cutting edge combat jets - Oct 25, 2011