Congress members harming party prospects in Gujarat: ShastriJuly 31st, 2012 - 1:32 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 30 (IANS) Congress leader Anil Shastri Monday said Congress leaders were making the party’s prospects in Gujarat weaker in an election year with their controversial comments.
The veteran Congressman and working committee member, who is the son of former prime minister Lal Bahadur Shastri, in his comments on micro blogging site Twitter, slammed Congress leaders Shankersinh Vaghela and Vijay Darda for making the situation bad for the party in Gujarat.
“Gujarat is going to polls this year end & things are being made difficult for Congress by its own leaders. First was Vaghela and now is Darda,” Shastri tweeted.
“How will Congress workers in Gujarat ask people not to vote for Modi after he being hailed as ‘Tiger of Gujarat’ by a Congress MP?” Shastri said.
Darda, a Congress MP from Maharashtra, praised Modi’s style of working and referred to him as a lion at an award ceremony in Ahmedabad. He however retracted his statement, but the central leadership of the party has been upset and asked Gujarat incharge Mohan Prakash for a report.
Earlier, senior Congress leader and former Gujarat chief minister Vaghela had raked a controversy after he reportedly told a gathering that the Congress relied on Muslim votes to win.
Gujarat will go for assembly elections towards the end of this year and Congress is making a deperate attempt to come back in the state. Congress was last in power in the state in 1995.
The Bharatiya Janata Party formed a government in 1995-96, followed by Vaghela-led Rashtriya Janata Party government from October 1996 to March 1998.
The BJP is ruling Gujarat since March 1998.
- Congress takes dim view of party MP praising Modi (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Modi appreciators being victimised, says BJP - Jul 30, 2012
- Congress takes dim view of party MP praising Modi - Jul 29, 2012
- BJP dislikes minorities: Vaghela (Lead) - Jul 04, 2012
- Congress to ascertain facts on Darda's Modi remarks - Jul 31, 2012
- Vaghela to counter Modi fast - Sep 14, 2011
- Contrasting styles mark Modi, Vaghela fasts - Sep 18, 2011
- BJP dislikes minorities: Shankarsinh Vaghela - Jul 04, 2012
- Modi and Vaghela on fast track politics in Gujarat - Sep 16, 2011
- Top Gujarat Congress leaders slam Modi, announce satyagraha - Sep 15, 2011
- Vaghela ends fast, says Modi government betrayed trust - Sep 20, 2011
- Vaghela predicts early polls in Gujarat - Sep 04, 2011
- Shankarsinh Vaghela to head Congress' Gujarat campaign panel - Sep 02, 2011
- Congress in Gujarat: Lost in the shadows (Gujarat Newsletter) - Mar 24, 2011
- Modi's fast: BJP top brass to attend; Modi condemns communalism - Sep 17, 2011
Tags: assembly elections, bharatiya janata party, central leadership, congress leader, congress leaders, congress members, congress workers, controversial comments, darda, former prime minister, gujarat, lal bahadur shastri, muslim votes, party government, party prospects, prime minister lal bahadur shastri, state congress, twitter, vaghela, working committee