Congress may move court for CBI probe into doctor’s murderApril 13th, 2011 - 12:32 am ICT by IANS
Lucknow, April 12 (IANS) The Congress party’s Uttar Pradesh unit Tuesday threatened to move court to press its demand for a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into the murder of Lucknow chief medical officer here April 2.
Doctor V.P. Singh was gunned down during his morning walk in Gomati Nagar neighbourhood.
“When the state government has already admitted that the killing was linked to gross financial irregularities in the centrally funded Rs.3,500 crore National Rural Health Mission (NRHM), then why is it reluctant to hand over the investigation to CBI?” state Congress president Rita Baghuguna Joshi asked. .
The state’s own probe agencies had failed to make any headway in the case, she told mediapersons.
“The state government not only prevented us from staging a protest demonstration, but also ordered a cane-charge on Congressmen, that left a dozen of our party workers, including four women, badly injured,” Joshi said.
“We are left with no option but to knock on the doors of the court,” she said.
“That is the only way to expose the large scale bungling of funds allocated by the central government for improvement in health services in the state,” she said.
The state Congress chief proposes to seek the court’s intervention for lodging a first information report (FIR) against policemen who caned Congress protesters.
“The insolent policemen showed no concern for women among the protesters and even manhandled them,” she alleged.
“Clothes of some women demonstrators were torn by the unruly policemen, who behaved in an inhuman manner,” she said.
Reacting to the Congress charge, ruling Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) state president Swami Prasad Maurya accused the opposition party of making “false accusations” against the Mayawati government.
“I would like to advise the Congress to look into its own track record before raising the finger at us,” said Maurya.
- Accused in medical officer's murder dies in jail - Jun 23, 2011
- Medical officer's death sparks protests in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 23, 2011
- Dead medical officer's kin demands CBI probe, opposition cries foul - Jun 23, 2011
- Five suspended for medical officer's death in jail (Lead) - Jun 23, 2011
- Samajwadi Party demands Mayawati's dismissal - Jun 25, 2011
- Congress holds massive protest in Lucknow - Jun 27, 2011
- CBI to probe Uttar Pradesh medical officers' killings - Jul 27, 2011
- New twist in demand for probe into health mission funds - Jul 25, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh questioned on health scheme funds - Jul 18, 2011
- Rahul attacks Mayawati government over health funds - Jul 21, 2011
- NRHM scam: CBI raids 60 places, ex-BSP minister under scanner (Lead) - Jan 04, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh doctors to resume protests from Monday - Apr 10, 2011
- Court rejects plea for CBI probe; Doctor cremated (Roundup) - Jun 24, 2011
- Tribal leaders seek probe into police crackdown - Mar 24, 2012
- Register murder case, demands Uttar Pradesh doctor's wife (Lead) - Jun 24, 2011
Tags: cbi probe, central bureau of investigation, congress chief, congress party, congress president, false accusations, financial irregularities, four women, headway, information report, joshi, medical officer, national rural health, national rural health mission, opposition party, policemen, protest demonstration, state congress, state president, v p singh