Congress likely to re-nominate Hamid AnsariJuly 9th, 2012 - 4:54 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 9 (IANS) Hamid Ansari is likely to be re-nominated for the Aug 7 vice presidential election as the Congress candidate, party sources said Monday, adding it will send a “right message” to the minority community. The BJP is yet to zero in on a nominee for the poll.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Saturday discussed Ansari’s name with Janata Dal-Secular (JD-S) leader H.D. Devegowda, who has supported his candidature.
“The prime minister spoke to Devegowda Saturday and discussed Hamid Ansari’s name…our party supports his candidature for the vice presidential poll,” JD-S general secretary Danish Ali told IANS.
According to the JD-S leader, Ansari should have been ideally nominated for the post of president of India but since that could not happen his candidature for the vice president’s office should be welcomed.
“Ansari’s tenure as vice president and Rajya Sabha chairman was an excellent one and he is a renowned scholar,” said Ali.
Earlier, senior Congress leader Digvijay Singh too had hinted that “Ansari’s re-nomination would not be a bad idea”.
Ansari’s name was doing the rounds along with that of former finance minister Pranab Mukherjee, who is the UPA’s presidential nominee.
Congress sources said Ansari’s re-nomination for the August 7 vice presidential election will send the right message to the minority community.
But just like the July 19 presidential poll, the vice presidential election will not go uncontested.
The Bharatiya Janata Party said it will field its own candidate.
“It is natural that the BJP will fight the vice president’s election. We will discuss it with our allies in the National Democratic Alliance and decide,” BJP’s national spokesperson and general secretary Ravi Shankar Prasad told reporters.
Prasad, however, did not comment on who the party’s candidate would be.
Insiders said the party is yet to zero in on a nominee for the vice presidential election.
The BJP is backing P.A. Sangma for the post of president against UPA nominee Pranab Mukherjee.
- Jaswant Singh as NDA's vice presidential candidate (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- NDA to finalise nominee for vice president Monday - Jul 16, 2012
- NDA to finalise vice presidential nominee Monday - Jul 15, 2012
- Nitish may back Ansari as vice president (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Presidential fight finalised, focus shifts on Ansari's successor - Jun 23, 2012
- BJP to field its own vice president candidate - Jul 09, 2012
- BJP, allies will pitch vice presidential candidate (Lead) - Jul 09, 2012
- Shiv Sena to back NDA's vice-presidential nominee - Jul 15, 2012
- Sonia meets Congress MPs ahead of presidential poll - Jul 17, 2012
- Vice president poll: UPA renominates Ansari, BJP bracing for contest (Roundup) - Jul 15, 2012
- Pawar meets Sonia over presidential poll - Apr 25, 2012
- Nitish likely to support Ansari for vice president - Jul 11, 2012
- Jaswant Singh is NDA's vice presidential candidate (Second Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- Presidential polls: Suggestions continue, parties keep mum (Lead) - Apr 24, 2012
- BJP for vice presidential contest, to seek NDA nod (Lead) - Jul 14, 2012