Congress leader begins indefinite fast for TelanganaNovember 1st, 2011 - 8:42 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Nov 1 (IANS) Congress legislator Komatireddy Venkat Reddy Tuesday launched an indefinite hunger strike to ask the central government to initiate the process to carve out a separate Telangana state.
Venkat Reddy, who resigned as minister last month to protest the delay in forming Telangana, began the fast in Nalgonda town in the presence of some party MPs from the region.
“I am ready to sacrifice my life for the cause of Telangana. There is no question of calling off the fast,” he told a huge gathering.
Venkat Reddy alleged that ministers from Telangana were the main hurdle in the formation of a separate state.
Congress MPs and former state ministers criticized their own party for not taking a clear stand in favour of Telangana.
Rajya Sabha member K. Keshava Rao said it was a shame that Congress MPs participating in Telangana movement were being implicated in false cases and sent to jail.
MPs K. Rajagopal Reddy, G. Vivek and Ponnam Prabhakar were also present.
In New Delhi, freedom fighter and former state minister Konda Laxman Bapuji Tuesday began a week-long “satyagrah” at Jantar Mantar, demanding statehood for Telangana.
Congress MP Madhu Goud Yaskhi, Telugu Desam Party (TDP) legislators E. Dayakar Rao, M. Narasimhulu and leaders of various Telangana groups took part in the protest.
The veteran leader will fast from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. every day for seven days.
- Freedom fighter, Telangana leader Bapuji dead (Lead) - Sep 21, 2012
- Telangana Congress leaders launch 48-hour fast - Jul 13, 2011
- Freedom fighter, Telangana leader Bapuji is dead - Sep 21, 2012
- Police end Congress Telangana leader's hunger strike - Nov 06, 2011
- MP sent to jail, 3,000 held for rail blockade in Telangana - Oct 16, 2011
- Telangana Congress leaders arrested near Osmania University - Jul 11, 2011
- Rebel TDP legislators begin fast for unity on Telangana - Jul 03, 2011
- MPs responsible for consequences of returning gunmen: DGP - Oct 20, 2011
- Congress leaders of Telangana reject second SRC proposal - Jul 12, 2011
- Congress leader continues fast for Telangana - Nov 08, 2011
- Three legislators quit Congress, join TRS - Oct 30, 2011
- Telangana Congress, TDP legislators to quit Monday (Lead) - Jul 01, 2011
- Minister from Telangana resigns for separate state - Oct 01, 2011
- Telangana Congress MPs to surrender guards - Oct 19, 2011
- Telangana Congress lawmakers firm on resignations - Jul 02, 2011
Tags: congress leader, congress mps, freedom fighter, indefinite hunger strike, keshava, konda, laxman, madhu goud, mantar, prabhakar, rajagopal, rajya sabha member, satyagrah, state congress, state minister, state ministers, telugu desam party, venkat, veteran leader, vivek