Congress is ready, prepared and confident: Sonia GandhiFebruary 8th, 2009 - 12:20 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 8 (IANS) Sounding the poll bugle, Congress president Sonia Gandhi Sunday said the party-led UPA government has kept the ‘aam admi’, or the common man, as the focus of its economic policy during the past five years and was “ready, prepared and confident” to face the upcoming Lok Sabha polls.
Addressing a massive gathering of the party’s district chiefs and grassroots workers, the Congress president said the party wanted people to reaffirm faith in it.
“The aam admi has been the overriding force of our economic policy. We have worked towards the welfare of farmers, the empowerment of women and welfare of weaker sections.
“We want people to reaffirm faith in the Congress. We are ready, we are prepared, we are confident,” Gandhi told the gathering at the Ramlila Grounds here.
Detailing the programmes of the UPA, she said the National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme had been very effective and was “historic”. “It is improving the lives of the poorest sections”. The Right to Information Act has made administration transparent, accountable and enabled participation of people, she said.
She also said the mid day meal scheme was providing nourishment to children and making going to school more attractive. The Sarva Siksha Abhiyan was providing education to children, while the National Rural Health Mission had made healthcare more accessible.
Gandhi said every state, including the opposition National Democratic Alliance-ruled states, had received “unprecedented funding” for developmental activities, which was unlike when the NDA was in power, she added, taking a swipe at the opposition.
She also detailed the government’s loan waiver scheme and other welfare schemes for people.
The entire Congress hierarchy at the centre and from the states, along with all chief ministers and central ministers are attending the meet.
- Refrain from infighting: Sonia to partymen in poll message (Lead) - Feb 08, 2009
- Those who divide society cannot fight terrorism: Sonia (Second Lead) - Feb 08, 2009
- UPA-II high on economy, to combat Maoism, corruption (Night Lead) - May 22, 2012
- UPA government ignoring 'aam aadmi': Brinda Karat - Oct 02, 2010
- UPA-II showcases strong economy (Second Lead) - May 22, 2012
- Elect Congress for development in Bihar, says Manmohan Singh - Oct 16, 2010
- Sonia, Priyanka descend on Rae Bareli, slam Mayawati (Third Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Sonia, Priyanka descend on Rae Bareli, flay Mayawati (Second Lead) - Feb 14, 2012
- Vote Congress to transform UP, says Rahul Gandhi - Feb 14, 2012
- Development is answer to left-wing extremism: Sonia (Second Lead) - Dec 16, 2011
- Development answer to left-wing extremism: Sonia Gandhi (Roundup) - Dec 16, 2011
- Sonia Gandhi says UPA Govt. has increased funds to States - Nov 02, 2010
- Rahul kicks off poll campaign in Assam - Apr 05, 2011
- Divisive forces cannot fight terrorism: Sonia (Roundup) - Feb 08, 2009
- PM announces rural wage hike, Sonia wants new direction(Lead) - Feb 02, 2011