Congress gets new leader in UP houseJune 6th, 2012 - 5:27 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 6 (IANS) Initiating the process of change after the Uttar Pradesh rout, Congress president Sonia Gandhi Wednesday named Pradeep Mathur as the new legislative party leader in the state assembly.
The appointment will take effect with immediate effect, Congress general secretary Janardan Dwivedi said in a statement here.
Mathur, who represents Mathura city, replaces loyalist Pramod Tiwari, who has been holding the post since 1991, the longest for any Congress Legislature Party leader in the party.
A Kayastha by caste, Mathur is a fourth term legislator.
In the 2012 assembly polls, the Congress could increase its tally in the 403-member house only marginally from 22 seats in 2007 to 28 despite a high-pitched campaign by Rahul Gandhi.
Reviving the grand old party in politically important UP, which sends 80 members to the Lok Sabha, is a priority for Rahul Gandhi, who represents Amethi constituency in the lower house.
- Tiwari goes as Congress house leader, Mathur in (Second Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- Congress axes Pramod Tiwari as CLP leader (Lead, changing dateline) - Jun 06, 2012
- Congress releases first list for Uttar Pradesh polls - Aug 22, 2011
- Nirmal Khatri appointed UP Congress chief - Aug 28, 2012
- Nirmal Khatri appointed UP Congress chief (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Rahul to review UP poll results Friday - Apr 03, 2012
- All eyes on Lucknow in fourth phase of UP polls - Feb 18, 2012
- Sonia goes abroad for 'routine check-up', to return in 4-5 days (Second Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Jaiswal to head Congress's Uttar Pradesh poll panel - Oct 11, 2011
- Rahul ready for bigger role, to be No 2 in party (Night Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Sonia goes abroad for 'routine check-up', to return in 4-5 days (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Rita Bahuguna Joshi offers to resign over UP results (Lead) - Mar 09, 2012
- Rahul Gandhi to visit Amethi April 30-May 2 - Apr 26, 2012
- Congress to monitor central schemes in Uttar Pradesh - Mar 13, 2011
- Rahul in Amethi to 're-motivate' Congress workers - Apr 30, 2012
Tags: appointment, assembly polls, caste, congress legislature party, congress president sonia gandhi, constituency, general secretary, kayastha, legislator, Lok Sabha, mathur, New Delhi, party leader, priority, rahul gandhi, rout, state assembly, tally, uttar pradesh