Congress finalises parliament poll seat share in KeralaFebruary 17th, 2009 - 8:27 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Feb 17 (IANS) The Congress will contest 17 of Kerala’s 20 Lok Sabha seats, according to the seat-sharing formula the United Democratic Front (UDF) decided Tuesday.
The UDF liaison committee met here and decided which party will contest which seat, UDF convenor P.P. Thankachen told reporters here, adding that the talks went off smoothly.
“The Indian Union Muslim League (IUML) will get two seats while one seat will go to Kerala Congress-Mani (KC-M) and the rest will be for the Congress.
“Taking into consideration the requests by allies we have decided that when the candidate for the Vadakara seat is selected, if possible a common candidate would be fielded,” said Thankachen.
The seat-sharing formula is similar to the norm the UDF followed in the past several elections.
IUML has been allocated Ponanni and Malappuram, while KC-M gets the prestigious Kottayam seat, which was traditionally a Congress seat. The KC-M has been contesting the Muvattupuzha seat for long, but it has been eliminated in the delimitation process.
In the 2004 general elections, the UDF suffered its worst defeat when all except one of its candidates were defeated. The lone victor was E. Ahmed of the IUML.
UDF is the main opposition in Kerala where the Left Democratic Front (LDF), led by the Communist Party of India - Marxist, is in power.
- Chandy, six others to be sworn in Kerala Wednesday - May 17, 2011
- Kerala CPI-M fields Chintha editor for Rajya Sabha (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- Rajya Sabha elections in Kerala to be held Monday - Jun 22, 2012
- Poll campaign gains momentum in Kerala - Mar 31, 2011
- 'Catholic priests, Muslim groups pushing extremism in Kerala' - Jun 04, 2010
- No problems in alliance, all united: UDF - May 01, 2012
- CPI-M to contest 85 seats in Kerala - Mar 14, 2011
- UDF wins 2 Rajya Sabha seats, LDF 1 in Kerala - Jun 25, 2012
- IUML becomes second-biggest party in UDF - May 13, 2011
- Kerala's opposition welcomes poll dates announcement - Mar 02, 2009
- Kerala CPI-M fields Chintha editor for Rajya Sabha - Jun 07, 2012
- We will win 100 seats: Oommen Chandy (Interview) - Mar 03, 2011
- Voting begins in Kerala - Apr 13, 2011
- Kerala Congress (Secular) to merge with Kerala Congress (Mani) - Oct 09, 2009
- LDF ally Kerala Congress-J headed for a split - Apr 28, 2010