Congress discusses Telangana, MaranJuly 6th, 2011 - 11:38 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 6 (IANS) The Congress Core Committee met here Wednesday and discussed the mass resignations of Andhra Pradesh lawmakers to press for creation of a separate Telangana state and the controversy involving union minister Dayanidhi Maran in the allocation of spectrum licences.
The meeting was held at the 7, Race Course Road residence of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
Congress sources said after the meeting that the party will consult the DMK before taking a decision on continuation of Maran in the council of ministers.
Maran is the textiles minister at present and was the communications minister in 2004-07.
The sources said a cabinet reshuffle is likely to take place after the union government makes a move on demand for carving out Telangana from Andhra Pradesh.
Congress leaders favouring Telangana and those supporting united Andhra have met senior party leaders over the past two days in support of their respective stands.
The central government said Wednesday it was not thinking of imposing President’s Rule in Andhra Pradesh even as 13 MPs and 100 legislators from Telangana have submitted their resignations.
The status report of the Central Bureau of Investigation in 2G spectrum case submitted to the apex court Wednesday pointed the finger at Maran for the delaying of telecom company Aircel’s application for 2G licence and forcing it to be sold to Malaysian company Maxis during his tenure as communications minister in 2006.
The report has provided fresh ammunition to the opposition to target Maran and the United Progressive Alliance government.
- Maran quits as minister after 2G scam involvement (Second Lead) - Jul 07, 2011
- Congress does not react to CBI report on Maran's role - Jul 06, 2011
- 2G claims another minister: Maran quits (Roundup) - Jul 07, 2011
- 2G case: Maran brothers quizzed by CBI (Lead) - Sep 14, 2011
- 2G claims another minister: Maran quits, DMK crisis deepens (Evening Lead) - Jul 07, 2011
- CBI to question Dayanidhi Maran soon - Jul 07, 2011
- Good that Maran resigned, now arrest him: AIADMK - Jul 07, 2011
- Maran denies forcing Sivasankaran to exit Aircel (Lead) - Jun 06, 2011
- Was forced to sell Aircel stake, Sivasankaran tells CBI - Jun 06, 2011
- Maran quits; opposition says too little, too late (Intro Roundup) - Jul 08, 2011
- Maran's position shaky, as CBI points finger (Second Lead) - Jul 06, 2011
- Triggering speculation, Maran meets PM - Jun 30, 2011
- 2G scam: CBI points finger at Maran, seeks more time (Second Lead) - Jul 07, 2011
- Maran in cabinet meeting, resignation not on agenda - Jul 07, 2011
- Look at your own record, DMK tells Jayalalithaa - Jun 02, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,