Congress declines comment on speaker’s rejection of PAC reportJune 14th, 2011 - 10:39 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 14 (IANS) The Congress Tuesday refused to comment on Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar returning the controversial report of the Murli Manohar Joshi-led Public Accounts Committee (PAC) on the 2G spectrum allocation.
“It is prerogative of the speaker. She has returned it. How can any party comment on it?” Congress general secretary Janardan Dwivedi told reporters here.
Sources in the PAC panel of parliament told IANS that Meira Kumar has returned the report to Joshi, the Bharatiya Janata Party veteran who heads the committee.
It had criticised Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for his “indirect” role in the telecom scam.
Joshi had gone ahead with the report and submitted it to the speaker’s office April 30 though a majority of the panel members had rejected it.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal had then said that Joshi had not submitted the PAC report to the speaker as it had not been approved at the meeting of the committee.
The draft report was rejected by 11 of the PAC’s 21 members, including those from the Congress, the DMK, the Samajwadi Party and the Bahujan Samaj Party.
Joshi, while submitting the report to Meira Kumar’s office, had hoped “that the speaker will accept it and place it in parliament”.
He had said the action of the 11 members in rejecting the report after he had “adjourned” the PAC meeting was “unconstitutional”.
- Speaker snubs Joshi, returns PAC report critical of PM - Jun 14, 2011
- Will place PAC's 2G report before new committee: Joshi - Jun 17, 2011
- Hope speaker will accept PAC report: Joshi - Apr 30, 2011
- Congress dares BJP to have a vote on PAC report - May 01, 2011
- Joshi's attempt to revive trashed 2G report thwarted - Jun 28, 2011
- 2G scam: Reworked PAC report sparks row - Aug 07, 2011
- Joshi submits PAC's report on 2G scam, slams UPA members (Lead) - May 01, 2011
- Chaos in PAC meet, 'chief' Soz rejects 2G report (Roundup) - Apr 28, 2011
- Will comment on final PAC report: Karat - Aug 07, 2011
- Have submitted PAC's 2G report to speaker: Joshi - Apr 30, 2011
- PAC divided on 2G report, Joshi walks out (Lead) - Apr 28, 2011
- Joshi reappointed PAC chief (Lead) - May 01, 2011
- Speaker Meira Kumar approves Joshi's reappointment as PAC chairperson - May 01, 2011
- Joshi walks out of PAC meet, 'chief' Soz rejects 2G report (Second Lead) - Apr 28, 2011
- Murli Manohar Joshi to submit PAC report to Lok Sabha Speaker - Apr 30, 2011
Tags: affairs minister, bahujan samaj party, bansal, bharatiya janata party, controversial report, draft report, indirect role, Lok Sabha, manmohan, manmohan singh, meira kumar, murli manohar joshi, pac report, parliamentary affairs, pawan kumar, prime minister manmohan singh, public accounts committee, Samajwadi Party, spectrum allocation, telecom scam