Congress condemns Hurriyat’s march callAugust 18th, 2008 - 11:20 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 18 (IANS) Terming separatist Kashmiri leaders’ attempts to globalise the Amarnath land row as “unfortunate”, the Congress Monday condemned the Hurriyat Conference’s march to a UN office in Srinagar, which was called off earlier in the day.”It is really unfortunate that the Hurriyat Conference and other separatists are trying to globalize the Amarnath land controversy. There was no necessity to march to the UN Observer’s office,” Congress spokesperson Manish Tiwari said here.
“We condemn this. No attempt should be made to globalise the issue. If there is any grievance, the Indian constitution is flexible enough to provide the solution and there should be no international interference,” Tiwari added.
The Hurriyat Sunday gave a call for march to the the United Nations Military Observers’ Group in India and Pakistan (UNMOGIP) office ibn Srinagar in numbers to submit memorandums drawing attention to the unrest in the Kashmir Valley.
However, as authorities Monday asked them to go to the UN office only in small groups and not with a large number of supporters, Hurriyat leaders called off their march though different outfits went to the UNMOGIP office and submitted memorandums seeking a permanent solution to the Kashmir issue.
- Curfew imposed in four districts of J-K - Oct 27, 2010
- Separatist leaders put under house arrest in Srinagar - Jul 27, 2012
- 15 injured as clashes erupt in Kashmir (Lead) - Oct 27, 2010
- Separatist leader held, released in Kashmir (Lead) - Jun 17, 2010
- JKLF members clash with police in Srinagar - Feb 10, 2012
- Curfew in Srinagar areas to prevent protests - Oct 26, 2010
- 8 injured as stone pelting protestors defy curfew in Kashmir (update) - Oct 27, 2010
- Kashmiri separatist leaders under house arrest - Aug 11, 2011
- Shutdown call evokes partial response in Kashmir - Oct 27, 2011
- Curfew in Srinagar to scuttle separatist march - Oct 27, 2010
- No plans to construct motorable road to Amarnath shrine: Kashmir - Aug 19, 2012
- Restrictions in Srinagar to foil separatist march - Jul 13, 2011
- Shutdown on JKLF founder's death anniversary - Feb 11, 2012
- Chinks in Mirwaiz-led Hurriyat Conference? - May 07, 2012
- Omar again asks BJP to abandon Kashmir yatra - Jan 14, 2011