Congress accuses Ramdev, Team Anna of pro-BJP biasJune 3rd, 2012 - 8:18 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 3 (IANS) Accusing yoga guru Baba Ramdev and Team Anna of a pro-Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) bias, the Congress Sunday rubbished allegations of wrongdoing by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in the allocation of coal blocks in 2006-09.
Speaking to reporters after allegations were levelled against the prime minister from the venue of Ramdev’s protest here, Congress spokesperson Raashid Alvi said that the charges were “baseless”.
Team Anna member Arvind Kejriwal said at the protest venue that coal block allocations were made to “underwear makers, cassette makers, gutka (tobacco) makers” when the prime minister was looking after the ministry.
Manmohan Singh held the coal portfolio from November 2006 to May 2009.
Rejecting the allegations, Alvi accused Baba Ramdev and Team Anna of being biased towards the BJP. He said names of leaders of several parties were taken in the context of corruption but none was from the BJP.
“They did not take the name of any BJP leader. Some (BJP leaders) stayed in jail. Their names were also not taken,” Alvi said.
According to the Comptroller and Auditor General, mining rights for coal blocks were allocated without auctioning them and this led to massive profits for chosen private firms.
- Rift mars Ramdev-Anna show, PM targeted over graft inaction (Intro Roundup) - Jun 03, 2012
- Rift mars Ramdev-Anna show, PM targeted over graft inaction (Roundup) - Jun 03, 2012
- Kejriwal walks out of Hazare-Ramdev fast venue - Jun 03, 2012
- Team Anna, opposition spew fire on 'coalgate'; CBI probes (Roundup) - Jun 01, 2012
- No mining in any allocated coal block, says BJP - Aug 28, 2012
- Consider plea for CBI probe against Team Anna: Court (Second Lead) - May 30, 2012
- Prime minister's image beyond doubt, says Congress (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- Hazare is surrounded by anti-national elements: Narayanasamy - Jun 09, 2012
- Team Anna rejects CBI probe in 'coalgate' (Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Coal block allocations: Conspiracy behind BJP's demand, says government - Sep 04, 2012
- Ramdev, Hazare to fast against corruption (Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- We respect CAG, says Congress after BJP complains to president - Sep 12, 2012
- After Sonia attack, BJP hits back - Jun 05, 2012
- Facing allegations for being a Jaiswal: Coal minister - Sep 04, 2012
- Team Anna rejects CBI probe in 'coalgate' (Second Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
Tags: allegations, allocations, alvi, arvind kejriwal, bharatiya janata party, bjp leader, bjp leaders, coal, comptroller, june 3, manmohan, manmohan singh, massive profits, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, private firms, spokesperson, tobacco makers, wrongdoing, yoga guru