Condoleezza Rice hails progress of women in IndiaMarch 7th, 2008 - 10:18 am ICT by admin
Brussels, March 7(IANS) US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice has praised the contribution of Indian women in the progress of their country, reports EuAsiaNews. “In countries like India, for example, women are making great strides in joining global economy and the growing opportunities contributing to rising power of their nation,” she told an international women’s conference in Brussels Thursday.
In Pakistan, she noted, the US is cooperating with an NGO to establish a teacher development centre to help teachers offer critical math and science curriculum for girls and boys.
Rice also praised the role of women in Kuwait saying they worked hard for decades to win the right to vote as equal citizens.
On the eve of the International Women’s Day, more than 50 international women leaders met in Brussels to discuss the twin themes of security and women’s empowerment.
The conference, organised by EU Commissioner for external relations Benita Ferrero-Waldner, under the title “Women: Stabilising An Insecure World”, provided a forum to discuss the critical contribution that women can make to solve the challenges of today’s world.
Ferrero-Waldner told the conference that women are often key players in promoting human security at a local level and global decision-making.
“And at times of crisis women bear the brunt: as I saw for myself when I visited Sri Lanka in the aftermath of the Tsunami or we are currently seeing in the Middle East,” she added.
- 2009 crucial for India to fight global challenges: EU - Jun 26, 2009
- Sri Lanka situation risky and dangerous: EU official - Mar 17, 2009
- India seeks global initiatives for energy security - Jun 18, 2009
- EU's new anti-terror programme to focus on Afghanistan, Pakistan - Apr 18, 2009
- EU urges Russia to keep moratorium on death penalty - Nov 13, 2009
- India, EU ink nuclear pact, to have trade treaty by 2010 - Nov 06, 2009
- EU increases financial assistance to Pakistan - Mar 25, 2009
- EU Troika-India to meet in Prague - Jun 26, 2009
- EU to send 100-member team to observe Afghan elections - Jul 13, 2009
- EU offers over $138 mn in aid to Pakistan - Jun 17, 2009
- EU split over upgraded Israel relationship - Apr 27, 2009
- EU, Russia sign pacts to develop border regions - Nov 19, 2009
- EU commissioner to attend Delhi summit - Feb 01, 2012
- EU concerned over humanitarian situation in Sri Lanka - Sep 26, 2008
- Top EU official to visit India - Jan 15, 2012