Concerns voiced over draft health chapter of 12th PlanAugust 8th, 2012 - 9:45 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 8 (IANS) The Jan Swasthya Abhiyan, or people’s health movement network, has voiced concern over the 12th Five Year Plan document’s proposal for restructuring the country’s health system, saying it would “effectively hand over health care to the corporate sector”.
It said the draft health chapter of the Plan document has failed to “build on the recommendations of the High Level Expert Group set up by the Planning Commission and also misquoted the group’s recommendations in many places”.
It says that while invoking the concept of Universal Health Care, the draft chapter is “actually proposing a strategy that is far removed from the basic tenets of Universal Health Care”.
It says the plan document recommends increase in public expenditure on health from the present 1 percent to 1.58 percent of GDP, which, it says, is in sharp contrast to the high level group’s recommendation of increasing it to at least 2.5 percent of the GDP.
“Secondly, it proposes that the central government’s (which collects most of the taxes) share in the additional health expenditure would be less than half of what states would contribute and that centre’s contribution would be conditional on states’ contribution!”
“The Planning Commission seems to have decided that India will continue to be among the bottom 10 nations in terms of percent GDP spending on health,” it says in a statement Wednesday.
It voices concern over the plan document proposing a transition from “…the present system which is a mixture of public sector service provision plus insurance, to a system of health care delivered by a managed network”. ”
There is, thus, a road map envisaged where the government will abandon its central role of providing health care and become primarily just a ‘manager’ of the new system envisaged.”
- India to nearly double expenditure on health - Feb 29, 2012
- No regard for kids in draft food security bill: Activists - Aug 08, 2011
- A council for human resource in health soon: PM (Second Lead) - Oct 01, 2010
- A council for human resource in health soon: PM(Lead) - Oct 01, 2010
- Panel slams rural health scheme implementation - Mar 24, 2011
- Cheaper drugs, better health services for poor (Second Lead) - Mar 16, 2012
- 3 percent of GDP to be spent on health: Montek - Sep 09, 2011
- Government told to hike budget for child health, nutrition - Mar 14, 2012
- Health sector allocation of 2 percent of GDP planned - May 08, 2011
- WHO calls for universal health coverage in India - Jun 29, 2012
- Ahluwalia favours increased government expenditure in health sector - Sep 09, 2010
- National Manufacturing Policy will create 100 mn jobs: CII - Oct 16, 2011
- Moscow set to curb drinking, have less liquor stores - May 06, 2012
- India to triple expenditure on science research - Feb 28, 2012
- Better health services for poor envisaged (Lead) - Mar 16, 2012
Tags: abhiyan, central government, corporate sector, draft chapter, expert group, gdp, health expenditure, health movement, high level group, managed network, New Delhi, plan document, planning commission, present system, public expenditure, road map, s health system, service provision, tenets, universal health care