Concerned over Mumbai, Karzai arrives in India SundayJanuary 9th, 2009 - 11:26 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 9 (IANS) Amid the deepening chill in India-Pakistan relations, Afghan President Hamid Karzai arrives here on a two-day visit Sunday to discuss counter-terror cooperation in the aftermath of the Mumbai attacks. Karzai will hold talks with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee Monday to discuss the developments in the wake of the Nov 26 Mumbai carnage, in which India suspects the involvement of Pakistan-based elements and its official agencies.
The prime minister is likely to share evidence with Karazai about the involvement of Pakistan-based terror outfits like Lashkar-e-Taiba in the Mumbai carnage, official sources said. Karzai may share any information Afghan intelligence may have on the antecedents of LeT operatives and their possible links with the Taliban, the sources said.
The two leaders will also discuss steps to strengthen counter-terrorism cooperation and enhanced security for around 2,000 Indian workers involved in various reconstruction activities in Afghanistan.
The India-educated Karzai came to India in August 2008 in the aftermath of the bombing outside the Indian embassy in Kabul. India blamed Pakistan’s spy agency Inter Services Intelligence for the embassy blast in which over 50 people, including two senior Indian diplomats, were killed.
India and Afghanistan had “no option but to be united in the fight against terrorism” as it is “our moral responsibility as human beings to protect” the people, Karzai had said in New Delhi in August.
- Karzai in India to discuss terrorism, Pakistan - Jan 11, 2009
- Karzai to brief India on new Taliban strategy - Oct 03, 2011
- India, Afghanistan to jointly combat terror (Lead) - Feb 03, 2011
- India, US to boost security cooperation (Roundup) - May 27, 2011
- In security talks with US, India terms Pakistan fragile state (Intro Roundup) - May 27, 2011
- Kabul attack: No Indian casualties, situation being monitored - May 02, 2012
- Afghanistan seeks Indian equipment for security forces (Roundup) - May 01, 2012
- Afghanistan seeks Indian equipment for security forces (Lead) - May 01, 2012
- India compliments US for 26/11 trial - May 27, 2011
- India asks Pakistan to join hands against terror - Jun 27, 2012
- You can't keep snakes in backyard, Clinton tells Pakistan - Oct 21, 2011
- India may press US for help in Mumbai terror probe - Jul 15, 2011
- India, US to begin internal security dialogue, talk terror - May 25, 2011
- Clinton visit: US committed to nuclear deal (Lead) - Jul 14, 2011
- With Pakistan in mind, Delhi and Kabul seal strategic pact - Oct 05, 2011