Complex heart surgery on 26-week premature babyOctober 18th, 2011 - 7:40 pm ICT by IANS
Gurgaon, Oct 18 (IANS) A 26-week premature baby girl suffering from congenital heart disorder was successfully treated in this satellite town of the national capital, a doctor said Tuesday.
An infant born with congenital heart condition who weighed only 700 grams at the time of birth was kept on ventilator support. She was successfully operated last month by a team of doctors at the Artemis Health Institute (AHI) in Gurgaon.
Congenital heart condition is a defect at birth in the structure of the heart and its vessels.
“The baby was born with a congenital heart condition in which two sides of the vessels were abnormally connected, causing overflow of blood to the lungs,” said Prabhat Maheshwari, in-charge neonatal, AHI’s Intensive Care Unit (ICU).
“The surgery was complex as infants weighing low of 700 grams at time of birth usually have a low chance of survival as they are born with underdeveloped organs and poor immunity,” he said.
Doctors said the process for this kind of surgery is very complex.
“In this infant’s case, medication didn’t work and we were not able to take the baby off the ventilator support. So we had to wait for a few days and then we opted for a surgery to treat her condition,” Maheshwari said.
“The baby is now recovering. She is out of ventilator support and started gaining weight which is a positive sign,” he added.
- Woman with rare hormonal disorder operated upon (with images) - Dec 27, 2011
- Born weighing 450 grams, baby girl survives - Jul 26, 2012
- Rare surgery saves 12-day-old infant in Punjab - Sep 21, 2011
- Rare brain surgery helps month-old infant live (Lead, changing dateline) - Aug 24, 2009
- Rare brain surgery helps month-old baby live - Aug 24, 2009
- Gurgaon hospital launches state-of-art birthing centre - Jan 15, 2011
- Relatives create ruckus at Gurgaon's Artemis Hospital - Apr 24, 2012
- Akshay Kumar is ambassador for heart patients - Sep 23, 2011
- New-born baby boy found abandoned in Gurgaon - May 12, 2012
- Smoking during pregnancy may cause heart defects in infants - Mar 01, 2011
- 4-day-old baby survives after complex surgery - Dec 13, 2011
- Best time for birth of twins is 37 weeks - Jun 15, 2012
- Breastfeeding can benefit even the sickest babies - Oct 28, 2010
- Chinese moms to donate liver to each other's kids - Sep 12, 2012
- Smoking early in pregnancy linked to risk of heart defects in infants - Mar 01, 2011
Tags: artemis, baby girl, congenital heart disorder, few days, gaining weight, health institute, heart condition, heart surgery, immunity, intensive care unit, lungs, maheshwari, medication, organs, overflow, premature baby, satellite town, structure of the heart, time of birth, ventilator support