Complete breakdown of law and order in Karnataka: Renuka ChowdhuryFebruary 7th, 2009 - 2:43 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 7 (IANS) A day after a Kerala legislator’s daughter and her friend were harassed in Karnataka’s Mangalore town, allegedly by members of the Sri Rama Sene, Women and Child Development Minister Renuka Chowdhury said here Saturday that there was complete breakdown of law and order in that state.”We are taking a serious note of repeated attacks against women in Karnataka. The fascist elements are trying to create a communal divide in the society and we cannot let it go on,” Chowdhury told reporters here.
“There is a complete breakdown of law and order in the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) ruled state and the state government has lost control over the situation. The Central government will intervene if state government fail to take any action,” said Chowdhury.
C.H. Kunhambu, a legislator of the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M), had Friday said that Sene activists held his daughter hostage near Mangalore.
“She was going from our home in Manjeswaram (in northern Kerala) to her college hostel in Mangalore when some people verbally abused her and a boy accompanying her,” Kunhambu had said.
The incident comes days after Sri Rama Sene activists attacked women in a pub in Mangalore.
“We have been respecting the centre-state relations but the situation in Karnataka is getting worse everyday. I am planning to talk to Chief Minister B.S. Yeddyurappa and, if required, will take up the matter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh,” said Chowdhury.
“I have no confidence in the state government and we are carefully monitoring the situation. I am asking who is Sri Rama Sene and who has empowered them to take law into their hands. We should look it as a national security problem, ” she added.
- Five arrested for attack on Kerala legislator's daughter (Roundup) - Feb 08, 2009
- Stop making irresponsible statements: Yeddyurappa tells Renuka - Feb 08, 2009
- False allegations leveled against Sri Ram Sena: Muthalik - Feb 07, 2009
- Ram Sene activists target Kerala legislator's daughter, friend - Feb 06, 2009
- Two detained for attack on Kerala legislator's daughter - Feb 07, 2009
- Action against those inviting Muthalik to Goa: CM - Jul 18, 2012
- Achuthanandan writes to Yeddyurappa, demands action against goons - Feb 08, 2009
- Protests against moral policing in Karnataka - Jul 29, 2012
- Goa CM dismisses Sri Ram Sene chief as inconsequential - Jun 27, 2012
- Girls thrashed at Karnataka's Mangalore for partying - Jul 28, 2012
- Shettar passes first hurdle, bigger battles ahead (Karnataka Newsletter) - Aug 03, 2012
- Deal with Sri Rama Sene like a terror outfit, says Faleiro - Jun 25, 2012
- BJP-ruled Karnataka govt. lost control over law and order: Renuka Chowdhury - Feb 07, 2009
- Prashant Bhsuhan bashed up, one attacker held (Roundup) - Oct 13, 2011
- Muthalik will be arrested if he enters Goa: Parrikar (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012