Competition to make micro spying gadget that fliesAugust 30th, 2008 - 5:57 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 30 (IANS) Can you build a micro spying gadget that flies and can transmit real time video information? This challenge was thrown to engineering students Saturday by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).Commemorating its 50th anniversary, DRDO has invited engineering students to design and develop the prototype of a lightweight, low cost, electronic aerial surveillance system.
“In this competition the students are desired to design and develop a micro unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) for surveillance purpose. The UAV should remain airborne for a minimum of two minutes at a minimum height of 30 metres and do imaging of a proportionate area below,” said a DRDO official.
Also the sensor should be able to detect man-sized objects during its flight.
“The UAV should be able to transmit recognisable real time video information to the ground receiver point located in the observation area,” the official added.
The students need to form a team and then select a guide before embarking on designing the UAV.
The winning team will walk away with a cash reward of Rs.300,000 and the second team will get Rs.200,000.
During the screening 10 entries will be selected by a screening committee from DRDO and external experts. They will be awarded a cash prize of Rs.50,000. The 10 teams will then be required to submit a functional prototype along with detailed design report.
- '3 Idiots' UAV inducted into counter-insurgency operations - Jan 30, 2012
- Pilotless target aircraft Lakshya-II successfully tested - Jan 27, 2012
- Indigenous Rustom UAV completes successful fifth flight - Nov 11, 2011
- DRDO's UAV 'Nishant' completes confirmatory flight trials - Feb 03, 2011
- Indian-run New Zealand firm designs UAV for cloud seeding - Mar 26, 2012
- UAV design competition by defence research - Jun 10, 2009
- Defence research agency woos graduates to design drones - Jun 06, 2009
- Nishant UAV successfully tested by army ahead of induction - Feb 03, 2011
- Indian Army buying 20 mini-UAVs for Kashmir - Aug 29, 2012
- DRDO's UAVs, new weapons systems to fight Maoists - Feb 18, 2010
- Shape-shifting robot plane to make maritime rescue safer than before - Aug 27, 2010
- India to develop unmanned combat aerial vehicle - Nov 25, 2009
- Russia to build mini drone - Mar 15, 2012
- Iran has drone engine know-how - Feb 25, 2012
- '3 Idiots' UAV attracts eyeballs at DefExpo - Feb 18, 2010