Compensate family of man killed in custody, government toldApril 10th, 2008 - 10:48 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, April 10 (IANS) The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) Thursday directed the Delhi government to pay Rs.300,000 to the family of the man who died in custody of Delhi Police eight years ago. Observing that the facts and circumstances of the case indicated that the police had inflicted the fatal injury when the man was brought to the police station after discharge from the hospital, the panel said: “The state must compensate the family of the deceased Lekhraj by paying monetary relief.”
The commission also directed the chief secretary of Delhi to file a compliance report along with proof of payment within eight weeks.
According to the police, Lekhraj was arrested in 2000 for allegedly committing robbery and was taken to Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital in an injured condition.
The medical examination did not reveal any head injuries and after that Lekhraj was lodged in the police lock-up at Tilak Marg. Around 4 a.m. on April 1, 2000, he was found dead in the police lock-up.
His post-mortem examination indicated the “death was due to head injury and tuberculosis of both lungs. The injuries were recent in nature and could be produced as a result of fall as alleged.”
The sub-divisional magistrate’s inquiry into death observed: “From the statements of the eye witnesses, and doctors who carried out the examination of Lekhraj prove that this head injury must have been inflicted on the deceased during further interrogation by the police personnel while he was in their custody after discharge from hospital.”
- Man convicted of attacking cop, walks free as term already served - Jun 24, 2012
- NHRC sends notice in Soni Sori case - Oct 11, 2011
- Soni Sori admitted to AIIMS - May 10, 2012
- NHRC summons Palakkad magistrate in police custody case - Jul 10, 2010
- Dacoity accused attempts suicide in lock-up - Jan 21, 2011
- Bihar ordered to pay Rs.3 lakh to undertrial's kin - Dec 14, 2011
- Kashmir government asked to compensate rickshaw-puller's kin - Jan 13, 2011
- Soni Sori admitted to AIIMS (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- NHRC issues notice to Haryana on child's death - Feb 29, 2012
- Soni Sori undergoes medical examination at AIIMS - May 11, 2012
- Delhi government, police get notice on labourer's death - Oct 25, 2010
- NHRC issues notice to Delhi government, power discom - Sep 05, 2012
- NHRC takes up Kashmir custodial death case - Aug 04, 2011
- 4 killed, 2 injured in north Delhi fire - Apr 20, 2012
- People's respect for police declining: NHRC - May 10, 2012